Help Needed with Odd One Out questions

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BerksParent

Help Needed with Odd One Out questions

Post by BerksParent »

Hi, I am struggling with following NVR odd one out questions. Can someone please explain me reasons for these answers.

1. Image

The answer is C

2. Image

the answer is a

3. Image

The answer is e
loobylou

Re: Help Needed with Odd One Out questions

Post by loobylou »

For the 3rd one I think those shapes are all identical but just rotated except for E which is a mirror image.
I'm afraid I'm hopeless at these though and can't do the others. In the first one I thought it might be too so with lines of symmetry but there are none in c or e so that doesn't work.
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

The answer to 2 is a because all other shapes have at least one line of symmetry.Shape in a has no lines of symmetry
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

In the 3rd one you have to look at the shape formed by the overlapping of the two open shapes very closely.
The shape formed in e has no line of symmetry because it is very slightly tilted as in a parallelogram:)
All others have got lines of symmetry
BerksParent

Post by BerksParent »

Thank you. This makes sense now.
Nadia wrote:The answer to 2 is a because all other shapes have at least one line of symmetry.Shape in a has no lines of symmetry
patricia

Post by patricia »

1. Look at the centre shape, where the two have merged to overlap. Ignore the overlap and count the sides

Shape a = 2 sides Shape b = 8 sides Shape c = 7 sides Shape d = 6 sides Shape e = 8 sides

Therefore a,b,d and e have in common an even number of sides, leaving c as the odd one out.

2. b,c,d and e have in common at least one line of symmetry, shape a has no lines of symmetry and therefore the odd one out

3. a,b,c and d are identical apart from rotation. Shape e cannot be rotated to look like the others and therefore the odd one out

Patricia
BerksParent

Post by BerksParent »

Thank you Patrica. I understand question 2 and 3 but i am struggling with question 1. When i count the sides, this is what i get, can you please tell what i am doing wrong here. I am getting 6 sides for shape c instead of 7 and 9 sides for shape 3 instead of e. Many thanks in advance:

patricia wrote:1. Look at the centre shape, where the two have merged to overlap. Ignore the overlap and count the sides

Shape a = 2 sides Shape b = 8 sides Shape c = 7 sides Shape d = 6 sides Shape e = 8 sides

Therefore a,b,d and e have in common an even number of sides, leaving c as the odd one out.

2. b,c,d and e have in common at least one line of symmetry, shape a has no lines of symmetry and therefore the odd one out

3. a,b,c and d are identical apart from rotation. Shape e cannot be rotated to look like the others and therefore the odd one out

Patricia
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

In question 1, the 2 overlapping shapes form a new shape plus the remains of the old shapes. In all cases apart from c, the 2 old shapes have the same number of sides eg in b, you form a central 4 sided shape surrounded by 2x 6 sided shapes. However, in c, you form a central triangle surrounded by a 6 sided shape above and a 4 sided shape below.
patricia

Post by patricia »

BerksParent wrote:Thank you Patrica. I understand question 2 and 3 but i am struggling with question 1. When i count the sides, this is what i get, can you please tell what i am doing wrong here. I am getting 6 sides for shape c instead of 7 and 9 sides for shape 3 instead of e. Many thanks in advance:
Hi Berksparent

You are counting all sides, you need to count sides ignoring the overlapping shape

shape c therefore has 7 sides (you didn't count the small sides above your 3 and 4)

Shape e you have counted line 5 as one but its two as you need to ignore the overlap in the middle

Hi Glos18

I agree with your method too.

Patricia

I always say, if in doubt start counting.
BerksParent

Post by BerksParent »

Hi Patrica,

This makes perfect sense now.

Glos18 - understood your logic as well.

Thank you so much.
patricia wrote:
BerksParent wrote:Thank you Patrica. I understand question 2 and 3 but i am struggling with question 1. When i count the sides, this is what i get, can you please tell what i am doing wrong here. I am getting 6 sides for shape c instead of 7 and 9 sides for shape 3 instead of e. Many thanks in advance:
Hi Berksparent

You are counting all sides, you need to count sides ignoring the overlapping shape

shape c therefore has 7 sides (you didn't count the small sides above your 3 and 4)

Shape e you have counted line 5 as one but its two as you need to ignore the overlap in the middle

Hi Glos18

I agree with your method too.

Patricia

I always say, if in doubt start counting.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now