HTA

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clareg103

HTA

Post by Clareg103 »

Please help me with a query. I have just found out that my daughters headteacher did not submit a headteachers assessment due to an admin error. My daughter was only two marks away from English but her overall score for the Kent test was 353 which makes me think that she would’ve passed the headteachers assessment. The headteacher had told me that she had submitted one I’ve only just found out that she didn’t because the KCC don’t have a copy. As you can imagine I’m really disappointed and feel that this has affected name removed by moderator’s chance of getting a grammar place what can I do?
Etienne

Re: HTA

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, clareg. :)

Unless one of our Kent members can tell you whether late HTAs are possible, you will need to contact the Council.

If there are no such arrangements in place, the answer you will get is "Go to appeal".
My daughter was only two marks away from English but her overall score for the Kent test was 353 which makes me think that she would’ve passed the headteachers assessment.
Even so, I doubt that there's anything automatic about getting through the HTA with a close score. It would surely depend on what the headteachers themselves think of the quality of her work.

If you do finish up with an appeal, I think the panel might be sympathetic to the argument that you could have been seriously disadvantaged - provided they can see that her English is significantly above expectations (e.g. a standard equivalent to GDS/111-120, and excellent reports of attainment).

However, the school is likely to be oversubscribed, and I'm afraid that will present you with one more hurdle: you will need good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question (sufficient to overcome the prejudice to the school in having to take any additional pupil).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you find you need any further help with appeals, do please post in the Appeals Section and we can try and help you there.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Peter

Post by Peter »

Etienne wrote:Welcome, clareg. :)

Unless one of our Kent members can tell you whether late HTAs are possible, you will need to contact the Council.

If there are no such arrangements in place, the answer you will get is "Go to appeal".
My daughter was only two marks away from English but her overall score for the Kent test was 353 which makes me think that she would’ve passed the headteachers assessment.
Even so, I doubt that there's anything automatic about getting through the HTA with a close score. It would surely depend on what the headteachers themselves think of the quality of her work.

If you do finish up with an appeal, I think the panel might be sympathetic to the argument that you could have been seriously disadvantaged - provided they can see that her English is significantly above expectations (e.g. a standard equivalent to GDS/111-120, and excellent reports of attainment).

However, the school is likely to be oversubscribed, and I'm afraid that will present you with one more hurdle: you will need good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question (sufficient to overcome the prejudice to the school in having to take any additional pupil).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you find you need any further help with appeals, do please post in the Appeals Section and we can try and help you there.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is no such thing as a late HTA, but I am afraid this happens occasionally, usually the school’s fault. All you can do is get a letter from the headteacher confirming the mistake (it doesn’t need to apportion blame). More importantly, send the school version of the school's HTA submission as proof it existed, along with the letter.

You don’t need to go on about it to the appeal panel, the existence of the submission without a negative comment from the panel is itself probably evidence of grammar school ability.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Headteachers in Kent only have a small window to submit an appeal. Those used to doing them will do so sparingly as they know of they submit loads it will not be looked on favourably. I do wonder however if you have any evidence from the HT to say they submitted a review as that may have made you think twice about appealing which may je e disadvantaged you if you didn’t do so within the appeal window (not sure when that is but gather it from 1 March to a date in spring designated on any appeal paperwork sent to you which should have happened as standard if you didn’t get your first choice).

Clareg did you put the grammar on your CAF?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Headteachers in Kent only have a small window to submit an appeal. Those used to doing them will do so sparingly as they know of they submit loads it will not be looked on favourably. I do wonder however if you have any evidence from the HT to say they submitted a review as that may have made you think twice about appealing which may je e disadvantaged you if you didn’t do so within the appeal window (not sure when that is but gather it from 1 March to a date in spring designated on any appeal paperwork sent to you which should have happened as standard if you didn’t get your first choice).

Clareg did you put the grammar on your CAF?
If they didn't, they have no right of appeal for the school concerned, so need to get a late apication in, sharpish. Unfortunately, the deadline for submitting an appeal and being guaranteed a hearing with all the on time appellants would have been at the end of March. Certainly in Essex, appeals are already underway, even with the delay due to moving over to 'virtual' sessions.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now