NFER/TUOTRS/BOND QUESTIONS

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hmaq

NFER/TUOTRS/BOND QUESTIONS

Post by hmaq »

I know this issue has come up before but I will appreciate further information. It appears that you guys are saying that NFER papers has only 15 question types and Bond has too many. Is it appriopriate for me to change at this stage from Bond to Tutors? I am in surrey area. What about other subject area? Thanks

NB. Will be grateful to hear from the tutor and Mike.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi hmaq

If the area in which the verbal reasoning test is being taken is provided by NFER covering 21 question types in a multiple-choice format then what you are saying with reference to other publishers is correct.

NFER papers published by Letts contain 15 question types, these are the first fifteen types that appear on The Tutors VR CD1 free demo.

Bond papers cover more question types, but do not include some of the NFER question types.

Susan Daughtery, Bright Sparks Series, covers the 21 NFER question types, but her earlier publications cover more, although she does seperate questions that appear collectively in IPS type Z and The Tutors type 15 questions.

IPS, Madeline Guyon (PHI) and Walsh (Bumblebee) also cover the 21 NFER question types. These are authors who are often referred to on the site and there may be more.

All The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Papers and CDs focus on the NFER question types. The Tutors, probably, have the most comprehensive database of questions for Verbal Reasoning with short papers, standard papers, longer papers, a CD based syllabus and a free method & technique course, all exclusively available through this website.

If the LEA also sets a Mathematics test provided by NFER then The Tutors also provide a syllabus covering all the question types and tests that mirror the NFER preparation material, both in CD format.

My advice to anyone preparing for NFER based tests in Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics would be to use The Tutors products during the process. But being the co-author I am not in any way impartial and rely on other people to make personal recommendations.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am impartial and i think the Tutors stuff is really good :lol:
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks a lot. It is gettng much clearer.
hmaq

tutors vr

Post by hmaq »

I have been using tutors vr papers with him. He likes the sections in a logical order, finds it easy and enjoyable and we could quickly pick out the problem areas.
Thanks yoyo mum & Mike.

Should it just be followed to paper 12?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hmaq

Which school are you applying for?

Patricia
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Our preference is Sutton Grammar and Wallington grammar.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Are the Tutors papers 1-12B graded in difficulty? Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they were designed to be done in sets of two? One being harder than the other to reflect the way the actual tests are set?
yvonne

11+ Verbal Reasoning (essex) Question types

Post by yvonne »

Tolstoy wrote:Are the Tutors papers 1-12B graded in difficulty? Also I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they were designed to be done in sets of two? One being harder than the other to reflect the way the actual tests are set?
This is for Mike

Mike please can you tell me
1) whether the tutors multiple choice verbal reasoning papers cover all the 21 types of VR questions.

2) I have bought a set of tutors verbal reasoning but all are coded b as in the quote above (e.g 1b,2b etc), is there a set of "A's" also, that i should be looking at?
ymcc
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi Yvonne,

Mike is away at the mo so will try to answer your question as best I can.

The Tutors 1-12b do cover the 21 types over two papers, hence the need to do them in sets of two that I asked about earlier.

I don't know of any (a) papers but the Tutors did have a set of papers that covered the 15 Nfer types relevant to many local authorities. These may have been the a's and are still available on request.

Hope that helps.