Teacher or Parent

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Josa

Teacher or Parent

Post by Josa »

Hi all,

What are your views? DS's teacher next year will also be teaching her DD as she is in the same class as my DS. Is it possible to draw the line between been a teacher and a parent, just wondered. :?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Well it's going to happen to both me and my DH this year. He's teaching DS and I'm teaching DD! Probably would have wanted to avoid it, but wasn't possible with timetabling constrictions. I can only speak for myself, but can assure you as a parent that I will be consciously trying not to treat her any differently from her peers.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Bougalou wrote:Well it's going to happen to both me and my DH this year. He's teaching DS and I'm teaching DD! Probably would have wanted to avoid it, but wasn't possible with timetabling constrictions. I can only speak for myself, but can assure you as a parent that I will be consciously trying not to treat her any differently from her peers.
That must be really tough on both you as a teacher/parent and your kids. Had you considered sending them to a different school or working in a different school? I know some independents offer large teacher discounts if a child is at their school, so I can understand if that was an option. Do you think it will it only be for one year?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I imagine it can sometimes be a bit hard on the child in question. My husband coaches in a couple of sports in his spare time and one of my sons, who does both sports, regularly grumbles to me that, "dad's not fair to me". My husband, of course, wants to make it clear that he's not showing his son any favouritism, so perhaps goes too far the other way on occasions. I imagine it would be the same for a teacher - they wouldn't want other children or adults to think they were showing their own child any special treatment.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

When I was a brownie, my mum was teh guider and I had to do everything to a much higher standard to pass any of my tests as my mum did not want to be accused of favouritism. I was never picked for anything either!

I have done supply teaching in my children;s school and they have been remarkably laid back about it, just ignoring me! I found it more difficult teaching neighbours children. I like to teach in an entirely different town.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Well DS will have DH for at least two years, but am hoping DD only has to put up with me for only 1 year!!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chambod

Post by Chambod »

I taught my daughter when she was in Year 4 for maths only. There was only an issue when it came to choosing people to do certain things like use the IWB etc. Again this was because I would avoid choosing her. However, it did give me a real insight into how she was doing in maths and we both enjoyed the experience. On the other hand, a friend and colleague taught her son in Year 6 but this did not work out. From being a very well behaved and conscientious pupil, he began to have quite marked behaviour issues so he was moved into my Year 6 class after one term. He settled down and did very well in his SATs and entrance exams.

My sister was taught by my father in secondary school and that did not go well! Stories that we laugh about now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now