Appeals-siblings

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Milly

Appeals-siblings

Post by Milly »

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice re appeals. Even if siblings are not a criteria for consideration under the admissions procedure is it worth putting it in as a factor for an appeal? Many thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Appeals-siblings

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You could phrase it in terms of detriment to family life if children are having to go in separate directions (particularly for primary age students), transport costs might be a consideration. Worth a mention but focus on academic ability (if grammar school).
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

We had an appeal that involved a twin. It was at a grammar where sibling priority is not an option.

Sadly, we did not gain the place at the same school, but I would certainly add it in as part of any additions - not the main emphasis though.
Milly

Post by Milly »

kenyancowgirl wrote:You could phrase it in terms of detriment to family life if children are having to go in separate directions (particularly for primary age students), transport costs might be a consideration. Worth a mention but focus on academic ability (if grammar school).
Thanks ! It is a grammar so I’ve focused on the academic side but a sibling and step sibling already at the school so the logistics is an issue in terms of transport. Also the emotional support siblings offer but I wasn’t sure how far to go down that route.
Milly

Post by Milly »

Ricky74 wrote:We had an appeal that involved a twin. It was at a grammar where sibling priority is not an option.

Sadly, we did not gain the place at the same school, but I would certainly add it in as part of any additions - not the main emphasis though.
Thank you ! In terms of academic evidence I have last years school report and a supportive statement from the headteacher, I’m now concerned that may not be enough after reading through the forum.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Siblings are often mentioned at appeal, irrespective of the admission rules, because an appeal panel is free to consider any argument.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best to explain why this matters, e.g. child is very familiar with the school, and has always wanted to emulate older sibling(s) by gaining a place there.

Logistics - especially if this is more than a matter of convenience. Would it be more problematic than that?
Etienne
Milly

Post by Milly »

Etienne wrote:Siblings are often mentioned at appeal, irrespective of the admission rules, because an appeal panel is free to consider any argument.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best to explain why this matters, e.g. child is very familiar with the school, and has always wanted to emulate older sibling(s) by gaining a place there.

Logistics - especially if this is more than a matter of convenience. Would it be more problematic than that?
Thanks Etienne, very helpful. Yes, I think more than convenience in that going to after school activities would be very difficult without the independence of being able to walk back from school versus a journey on a public bus. No one else from the same primary school so no support from other parents. No possibility of being picked up due to work hours/location. Or maybe this is just convenience ? So confused. Any opinions gratefully received :).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Or maybe this is just convenience ?
The only view that matters is the panel's! We can only guess what might influence them .....

I think it's probably worth trying this line of argument to see what happens.
school activities
Are there any of particular interest which are not on offer at the allocated school? Why does this matter to your child?
Etienne
Milly

Post by Milly »

Etienne wrote:
Or maybe this is just convenience ?
The only view that matters is the panel's! We can only guess what might influence them .....

I think it's probably worth trying this line of argument to see what happens.
school activities
Are there any of particular interest which are not on offer at the allocated school? Why does this matter to your child?
Thanks, I will have a look at the activities. One last question, I kept my appeal letter quite simple and straightforward and referenced attached evidence. Is there the ability to expand on this in an appeal with a written statement to read out? My concern is I am doing this on my own and nerves may take hold and I would forget to say something in the normal to and fro of discussion.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is there the ability to expand on this in an appeal with a written statement to read out?
Yes - at a normal hearing it's common practice, and very sensible!

Has it been confirmed that this hearing will be by video conference/skype?
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now