Inductions..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Herewego1

Inductions..

Post by Herewego1 »

Hi! Wonder if anyone has any inside knowledge on how the secondary schools will do their inductions this year? I wonder if 2nd July will go ahead.. the secondary schools will be mostly empty so maybe they could happen with social distancing?
Sorrel

Re: Inductions..

Post by Sorrel »

Skinners has said that there won't be the usual induction afternoon at the school in July but they will do a remote induction - details coming soon. It's a pity, I had hoped that in July it might be possible. But I suppose when it's just for one afternoon it's not worth bringing 160 children together.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Oh what a shame!!! A remote induction is just not the same!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD’s grammar has just emailed to say they are hoping to see their Y10s soon and will be doing prospective Y7 indications remotely. Not ideal for the induction but some schools are doing nothing so it is an improvement on that. I think it really shows the energy of the schools that are finding ways to do things rather than put off or abandon.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Thank you
doodles

Post by doodles »

Herewego1 wrote:Hi! Wonder if anyone has any inside knowledge on how the secondary schools will do their inductions this year? I wonder if 2nd July will go ahead.. the secondary schools will be mostly empty so maybe they could happen with social distancing?
It's sad that they will miss the day but I can only imagine it would be a logistical, health & safety, social distancing, cleaning nightmare for them to ensure that all of the children and staff were kept safe.

I do know that in previous years the first day of the Autumn Term at Skinners' is reserved for Yr 7, Yr 12 and Prefects with the rest of the school going back a day later, giving yr 7 a chance to meet their classes and find their way around before the rest of the school arrive.

Good Luck to all your DC's starting in September, unfortunately for us DS2 is Yr13 and has left school without taking his A levels and has missed all the fun and tradition that leaving school usually entails.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

That's such a shame, doodles, hope they can have an event in the autumn to make up for it a bit. Hope he is sorted for university at least (and that that starts as properly planned).
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Such a shame Doodles. Feel so bad for the Year 13s.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Skinners' has been absolutely brilliant with the remote learning from day 1, with lots of lessons on Teams and opportunities to talk to their form tutor and each other, and Mr Wesson recording assemblies. I knew they were good but didn't appreciate quite how good till I was hearing what other very similar schools have been (not) doing at the weekend. So I'm sure it will be a great remote induction too.
doodles

Post by doodles »

That's good Sorrel, has your DS done / seen the toilet roll pass it on challenge or any of the sports challenges? My DC put a lot of thought and effort into his final Head of House Assembly ( I confess to a moist eye) and I thought that the wellbeing week was superb too. A very special school which we are sad to be leaving …. "sing leopards sing"
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !