University Accommodation Charges during Lockdown

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: University Accommodation Charges during Lockdown

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:On a related issue I saw a question on the Martin Lewis money saving forum about whether we should be charging all our returning students bed and board from this terms student loan. I haven’t gone that far yet but if I find one more dirty plate under the sofa ......
Indeed, DD is (and I quote) rolling in it as she has had no expenditure other than the bills on the house she doesn't live in since mid March. About the same length of time since I had any work/income. She is currently up against deadlines which count towards her degree so I am being 'kind'. However, once that is over... The fly in the ointment here is getting a job, usually she works in hospitality and tutors, neither good options now the exam panic has gone away and there is no hospitality. Friends with a lower workload are working in supermarkets or as Amazon drivers, but locally (I checked) the sudden demand in this area appears to have been filled. I may ask for payment in kind. DD is a compulsive tidier and our loft, wardrobes, drawers and garage cold all do with a major clearout. Last week, in a moment of frustration caused by trying to do what is effectively a technical studio based degree on a laptop, she cleaned the grout between the tiles on the kitchen floor. She appeared to find it satisfying and I appear to have a new kitchen :lol:
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD had rats in her third year house, those places do still exist unfortunately.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Last year DS had slugs in the kitchen (so did I when I was a student). This year is better but next year will be really good as the house is nice apparently and they all clean. He will have to step up.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

scary mum wrote:DD had rats in her third year house, those places do still exist unfortunately.
Indeed they do. We had a rat in our own kitchen recently. (Our own home, that is). Yak!
Thankfully after a few days we managed to persuade it to go back outside again.
I can't imagine the grief we would have had had it been at one of the student houses. Though honestly I would have much preferred it.
Loopy
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

scary mum wrote:DS2 has declared he is going back come what may, I fear his housemates may start dropping out of the house rather than pay from August to January. As you say, what a shambles.
Please do check his contract . Many state that each student is jointly and severally liable for the rent . If others drop out the others may be responsible for the total rent .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, I believe it is, which makes it even more worrying.
scary mum