SHFGS admissions catchment policy changed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

polapts

SHFGS admissions catchment policy changed?

Post by polapts »

Hi,

While going through the admission policy for SHFGS for year 2021 found out that over-subscription for entry to Year 7 a bit odd. It says in point 6:

6. Students living in the catchment area of the school (who must have been in residence at their home address continuously since 31 October 2019)

https://www.sirhenryfloyd.co.uk/assets/ ... s-2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought only Dr Challoner's Grammar School had a different moving deadline among all grammar schools.

Anybody knows if SHFGS also changes rules or is it a copy/paste error from last year's admission policy?

Thank you
scary mum

Re: SHFGS admissions catchment policy changed?

Post by scary mum »

It does look rather as though it has been copied across, although it's a bit of an important one! I suggest you contach admissions at the school or Bucks County Council & ask them for clarification. Please let us know their response!
scary mum
polapts

Post by polapts »

I did send an email to the BCC and school. Will update.
polapts

Post by polapts »

Below is the response from SHFGS:

"Apologies for the delay in replying to your email.
There is an error in the policy and it should state October 2020. We will be uploading the corrected version onto the website.

Kind Regards

SHFGS"
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

So someone in a position to move quickly - who is living in rented property for example - could wait for the test results and then quickly move close to the school, and effectively jump the queue.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Deb70 wrote:So someone in a position to move quickly - who is living in rented property for example - could wait for the test results and then quickly move close to the school, and effectively jump the queue.
It’s always been like that in Bucks. You would have to be in very quick position to move though as there’s only a couple of weeks between results day and the deadline.

Had my hopes up for a bit that SHFGS was going to be the first grammar school to address this issue but I knew that was wishful thinking.

What annoys me more than people who move in those two weeks is people who start renting here in Year 5. They take the Bucks test and pass it with high scores and then don’t even go to school here as they get a better offer from a super selective school elsewhere. It’s as if for them the Bucks schools are not good enough for their child and only good as a safety net. They see it as an “easy” option but skew the results for the rest of us :(
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DCGS is the only Bucks school to have addressed this so far and this has been in place for some time.
scary mum
polapts

Post by polapts »

I know a couple of instances personally where people have been asked by BCC to prove that the move was long term by providing sale deeds of properties or long term (2 years) rental agreements. This was even when the move was in June/July. So I think it's not that straight forward.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now