Changes to 11+ Exam - Slough Consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chad

Changes to 11+ Exam - Slough Consortium

Post by chad »

The Slough Observer has published an article on changes to this years exams (see below)
Apparently the changes apply to the Consortium only...... not Slough Grammar.
You can view the original article at
http://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/articles/1/3217

[quote]ANGRY parents and tutors are fuming after changes to the 11 plus exam could disadvantage Asian youngsters from getting a place at grammar schools.

Slough’s Consortium of Grammar School, which includes Herschel, Langley and St Bernard’s, has decided to drop the maths tests from the exam in November.

Instead children will be tested on their non verbal reasoning, which identifies science and maths skills, and verbal reasoning which includes English.

A tutor, who does not want to be named, added: “It will disadvantage Asian youngsters or any second language speakers.

“Many children from this background often have problems with their literacy as many parents have English as their second language.

“This can hamper a child’s chances in the English test as they cannot always seek the help they might need at home.

However, Slough Grammar School is not in the consortium and will continue to test youngsters’ maths skills during the 11 plus exam. This means children who want to get into Slough Grammar will have to sit the 11 plus exam twice to meet the school’s entry standards and many parents fear this will put a lot of unnecessary stress on their youngsters.

Margaret Lenton, headteacher at Slough Grammar School, added: “We sought widespread advice and felt maths was an important element of the tests that was needed to test the students in our area.â€
Drastic Dad

Excellent news!

Post by Drastic Dad »

The Consortium drop maths! Yippeeee! People will whinge and whine any way. Trying to make this issue a racial concern is pathetic to say the least. There is absolutely no place for Maths when NVR and VR cover a lot of Maths any way. This will do some tutors out of business, and that's about that! Simple tests, less stress, less horror, come on Slough Grammar, you should drop maths as well!
chad

Post by chad »

I think that this will benefit some and not others......depends on your child whether this is a good idea or not.

My child would not have got a place at a Slough grammar a couple of years ago if there was no Maths.
With a very low VR score (Aspergers), High Nvr & Maths he scraped a pass..... I doubt if it was only VR & NVR with equal rating that he would of made it.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

What an interesting turn of events.
chad wrote:I think that this will benefit some and not others......depends on your child whether this is a good idea or not.
Quite agree Chad; will suit some but not others. The good news is that they have given timely notice about the change. People now have time to re-arrange revision schedules; knowing to concentrate on two, instead of three subjects.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Im asian and I am very happy they have dropped the Maths. I cant believe what the woman said about maths being an asian thing!
elevenplusplaya

Post by elevenplusplaya »

It has been mentioned many times in the news that this country lags behind in Maths compared to its European neighbours and others. The Slough Consortiums decision to drop Maths (that is used in pretty much everything you look at) has not helped here. I agree that Grammar schools who do not have Maths as an entry exam may do well, but I would say that if your child is good in Maths he has a bright future regarless of what background you come from or what school they go to.
Examples: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7435023.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7460870.stm
DocKnowItAll1066

Dropping Maths

Post by DocKnowItAll1066 »

I am European with an English wife. While social skills are rather high in the UK I have always been astonished about the overall poor Maths and science skills in this country. All eleven plus exams should contain Maths and probably even English as a third and fourth component. The Mickey Mouse Maths contained in VR cannot be a replacement for the real thing.

Besides my comments above you may also wish to ignore the fact, that I continue to tutor my son not only in VR and NVR, but also in Maths, and soon also English. I believe in "lateral thinking" and a broad based education. Having started in the middle of year 4 this has already brought him a "gifted" entry in his recent school report, which may help should his outcomes be not so favourable in his eleven plus.
chad

Post by chad »

I am happy that Slough Grammar are keeping maths in their 11+. My son scraped thru the 11+ (a good Maths & NVR score balancing an abysmal VR score) and has recently taken his KS3 exams in Year 8 (aged 12). We have only got his Maths result so far but in Maths he achieved a Level 8. Without the Maths paper I doubt he would have passed his 11+ and achieved so well.
This is the type of child that is not so well served by the VR/NVR 11+ and there may be many children gifted within the maths/science area that are not given the chance in the 11+ areas.
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

I imagine the real issue here is exactlyWHY Slough has decided to drop the Maths. Does anyone know? I have heard that in the past many pupils who gain high scores on their maths paper, which qualify them for grammar, then struggle once there because their reading and writing skills are not good enough. Perhaps Slough is trying to reduce the risk of this happening?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now