New starters Chelmsford County High 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Meribel

New starters Chelmsford County High 2020

Post by Meribel »

Hi just wondered if anyone has a daughter starting at CCHS is his September? Can anyone who has a daughter there answer a few questions please? Firstly as we can’t try in uniform, do you have any advice, such as what comes up small or big or any other recommendations? Also is there a school Facebook group or similar that parents can join? I imagine it will be very different for our girls settling in and making friends this year with social distancing, but hopefully the school will help them to navigate this.

Thank you
MmeOgg

Re: New starters Chelmsford County High 2020

Post by MmeOgg »

Hi - my DD is just finishing Y11, having missed her exams. It is all pretty weird at the moment but I have been so impressed with Mr Lawlor and the rest of the staff and the efforts they are going to to support the girls and families. I'm sure they will do everything possible to smooth your daughter's transition.

We always found the sizing on the Simmonds website pretty accurate. If in doubt, size up and don't skimp on the length of the skirt. The school are very strict about skirt lengths and the rest of the uniform is not cheap so having a bit of growing room is fine. In the past, second hand uniform sales are good for topping up with spare jumpers etc. but I'm not sure how/if the PTA will manage them in future.

In my DD's year, each class had a parent rep who was supported by the school to reach out to the rest of the class' parents so we didn't use a FB group. There are a lot of CCHS twitter accounts, which I have found useful and interesting to follow.
Meribel

Post by Meribel »

Thanks for your reply. That must be really tough for your daughter at the moment. I’m glad the school are supporting you well. Just out of interest are they providing lessons still or are they setting/suggesting work instead. I imagine some distance learning will continue at least in part next year.

Thanks for the advice on the skirt, I’ll make sure there’s a bit of growing room there too.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

The Y11s have bridging work to prepare for A levels, longer pieces of project work rather than lessons. They have also been encouraged to sign up for additional activities, including mentoring younger girls in specific subjects.
Other year groups seem to have a pretty structured set of lessons.
Unicorndad

Post by Unicorndad »

A real shame that they have cancelled all the physical induction activities. Given that Year 6 are now back in school and there are currently no students other than key workers at CCHS, I really thought they would try to hold something, even if reduced and spread over more days.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now