Focus Areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taz1981

Focus Areas

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

My dd has been working really hard over the past few months, she’s learnt over 450 words been reading and working through cgp books with relative ease. She knows that she has to learn over 1000+ words because each mock test she sits she comes across a lot of words she’s never seen before especially for the cloze tests. I was wondering in the Trafford exams roughly how many questions are about cubes and nets as she knows the basic rules but the bond cem tests are quite difficult and we don’t know how much time we should be spending on them. They are quite tricky but there is so much to do.

https://ibb.co/NCGmPqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
choceyes

Re: Focus Areas

Post by choceyes »

My DS sat the exam last year and said that there were no questions on cubes and nets, although there were quite a few types of NVR he hadn't encountered in our preparation (we did CGP only). We did a lot of practise and cubes and nets as that was the only thing he was weak in, so it was foremost in his mind!

My daughter is sitting this year and we are going through everything again....including cubes and nets as they might ofcourse make an appearance this year.
Taz1981

Post by Taz1981 »

Thank you for that. Are you still using the cgp books or are you using any others which you feel may help. We tried the cgp test book purchased from amazon and she didn’t score past 50%. She just didn’t know the words although she has learnt over 500 new words from reading books and cards from amazon, hardly any of them appeared.
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

We are also using Bond for comprehension 10 min tests. We found the CPG comprehension quite challenging and DD was getting frustrated with them.
Regarding words, we have also identified lots of words from reading books, from the CPG practise material, but there are always words that we have never encountered before ofcourse coming up in the practise material. We are trying to learn as many words as it is possible, but I'm not going to get her to learn really obsure words, which can't be used in converstion easily and therefore probably won't register in her mind. Just words that we come across regularly enough in challenging books, otherwise there's just too many to learn and the learning won't be effective IMO.

Also my DS said last year that the words in the actual exam were much easier than the ones in the practise material, infact he said that about both mock exams he sat too. He scored really well in the mocks and actual exam. So taking it a bit easy this year with the cramming of words!
COmprehension is our nemesis!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now