Latymer Uniform - what are the bare essentials?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
exam2019

Latymer Uniform - what are the bare essentials?

Post by exam2019 »

Hi. Our DIY 11+ adventure worked out in the end and DS has a place for Y7 in September. I’m hoping some of the people here can help with advice on uniforms? With a Year 6 uniform hanging un-used in the wardrobe during lockdown I’m not keen in investing in a whole other set which might see minimal action before it’s too small...

Are the branded school jumpers compulsory or are plain navy V necks a common alternative?

Blazers are noted as optional. What do most pupils wear?

Lab coat - how essential? schools provided them in my day - can these be borrowed?

PE kit - how strict?

Thanks in advance
CeeCee74

Re: Latymer Uniform - what are the bare essentials?

Post by CeeCee74 »

Hi Congratulations,

I'll try to help a little, my son is currently in year 8.

The branded jumpers are compulsory.

For us the Blazer was a waste of money. My son really wanted one & someone had advised that they were useful for them initially to have their map of the school & their timetables to hand in the pockets but it was ditched after about a fortnight! Wish I hadn't spent the money. Not sure any of the boys wear them.

Lab coat he keeps in his locker at school & does seem to use for science - buy a big one so that it lasts as long as possible!

PE kit, very strict. Lots of detentions handed out if even one sock is missing, & lots seems to go missing. The lost property system seems to operate more like a grab & keep (side affect of the liberal detentions for forgotten kit) I'd recommend getting a spare set of socks. I've had to replace a few times. I'm not sure how strict they are with the names being embroidered into the kit though, I've not challenged that rule yet.

Having a spare tie has been useful too.

You can also order a plastic lanyard card holder that take 2 cards (from Amazon) The school will give them one that holds their ID card but I found replacing with a double one useful as my son can have his travel card in the other side.

Hope that's helpful & welcome to the school. My son loves it & really wishes he was back at school.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks so much! That’s fantastic advice and we’re all feeling quite excited about the new start now - lockdown permitting! Thanks again
hexic

Post by hexic »

Just to agree, blazer is never worn (sadly!), mine wears jumper and short-sleeved shirt all year round. Any old coat. Buy loads of sports socks. The embroidery on the sports shirts takes a while to get done. The trousers are a very dark grey, charcoal, m&s ones work (not the narrowest ones). Jumpers absolutely must be the school one.

Lab coats are compulsory but ours has lived at home for a while. Definitely buy large. Detentions or complaints if they don't have them.

Given the situation, I'd also advise a laptop if your child doesn't have easy access to one. We don't know what's happening in September but the school is using Teams for some lessons at the moment and google classrooms is increasingly in use.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now