Going All IN for grammar school application for DD - London

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

decentguy_uk

Going All IN for grammar school application for DD - London

Post by decentguy_uk »

With ongoing uncertainity with 11+ entrance exams this year, Below is a quick list of schools I plan to apply for my DD. We are based in Bucks

Dont judge here as its likely that we will not sit each of them but no harm in applying

1. Henrietta Barnet
2. Slough Consortium
3. Buckinghamshire
4. Kent (Need to further research about merit based schools)
5. CSSE - Essex
6. Kendrick (Unlikely to due to catchment)
7. CCHS - Chelmsford
8. Mill Hill (possibly due to dance quota)
9. Sutton Grammar
10. SW Herts (unlikely due to catchment)

Hope I have not missed anything :-) Stay safe
Last edited by decentguy_uk on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mad?

Re: Going All IN for grammar school application for DD - Lon

Post by mad? »

Welcome to the forum decently_uk.
Depending on where you live you can only apply for 3 - 6 schools, but you can sit more, should you/DD feel it necessary. It is worth looking into admissions policies of the schools concerned in advance though, as there is nowhere you can live which gives you eligibility to schools in all these areas, and some have detailed residency requirements. As a veteran I'd suggest doing some research now into the schools and areas so that you are able to narrow your focus. This will help you tailor DD's preparation, avoid exam clashes and prioritise DD's welfare over the exam period. Good luck.
mad?
decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk »

Thanks for reply

We are in Buckinghamshire so that is our initial target. With few schools potentially delaying their exams, clashes may be less on dates hopefully.

Lets see how it goes. Delays are not good as it will require extended focus period for kids
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You are a very long way from Kent, which is a big county. Which schools were you thinking of? As mad? suggested, look carefully at the admissions criteria, catchment etc.
decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk »

Agree Kent is too far and target is any school that takes kids outside of catchment based on merit.

Now that I have applied, I can continue detailed research and make an informed judgement on which exams to actually apply for.

As mentioned, as registration is done, I am now at ease that all options are open.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don’t bother with kendrick, unless you intend to be in catchment before the end of August. You won’t get a place.

Also check the historic data for the Slough schools in the Berkshire forum to work out of you have a reasonable chance of a place.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The Sutton girls grammars (Nonsuch and Wallington HSG) will tell you the score that your daughter achieves in their joint test. They also publish cut-offs for admission in previous years. This means you will be able to make a reasonable assessment of your chances of getting a place before you have to submit your CAF at the end of October (assuming the usual timetable applies).

However, you won't know *for certain* whether you have a place until 1 March, which will give you six months to relocate. If you are borderline and are waiting for a place on the waiting list, it may be less than that.

HBS will give you a band but you won't know from that whether you are guaranteed a place - in previous years not all girls who recieved a top band eventually got a place. So again you won't know whether you will need to relocate until March.

If you are renting and are fairly flexible about where you will move to, that may be fine. If you will need to sell a house and buy a new one, that may be more difficult.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We put DD in for four exams (3 in September and 1 Independent in the Jan), that was enough and that was a girl who likes tests and exams! Newstead you can be outside of 9 mile catchment to take the test but need to be within the catchment to qualify for a place, when that cut-off date is you'd need to clarify with the admissions officer but I don't want to add another to your list, but do mention it as some people think Newstead is in Kent when it is actually in the London Borough of Bromley. I've seen upset parents who put their child in for Kent and thought it would give access to Newstead.
decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk »

Thanks for reply.
Out of Interest, which independent school is taking registrations around this time?
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think you need to answer one pertinent question first.

"Are we going to move house?"

If the answer is "No" then you can cross several of the tests off of your list and concentrate on those for which she stands a good chance. There is no point in sitting the Kent or Essex tests if you aren't going to move from Bucks.

If the answer is "Yes" then you really need to look at the admissions criteria of the schools you are interested in, even some OOC places have address stipulations that you will need to satisfy.

Also please consider which non-selective schools you would be happy with and make sure that you qualify for at least one.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now