Test registration

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aquafina

Test registration

Post by aquafina »

Is it ok to register for the Walsall consortium exam in addition to the Birmingham one?

Will both exams be marked and considered independently of each other?

Do people use one or the other as a mock or back up option for the other?

Thanks.
Nella

Re: Test registration

Post by Nella »

Hi, I guess it depends in which area you live and whether there is any point doing both the tests. If your child is aiming for a Birmingham grammar and you don’t live near the Walsall consortium schools then there is no point using the Walsall test as a mock as it is at a later date. Also consider distance from the school and transport options. If you live on the other side of B’ham it’s not a great back up option.
If you live near the Walsall grammars and are in catchment for a B’ham grammar then sitting both would increase options.

They are separate tests I believe- but check with the schools for a definitive answer.

On a personal note using entrance tests as a ‘free mock’ doesn’t sit well with me. There will be a cost that I’m sure state schools can ill afford!
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

Thanks for your reply.

The Walsall test would be more of a back up for us than a mock, as you point out it is after the Birmingham one.

The reason for wanting a back up is that on any given day things can go ‘wrong’ so to speak so having a back up option seems sensible.

I just wanted to check it is something that was ok (i.e. within the CEM test rules) to do.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

aquafina wrote:Thanks for your reply.

The Walsall test would be more of a back up for us than a mock, as you point out it is after the Birmingham one.

The reason for wanting a back up is that on any given day things can go ‘wrong’ so to speak so having a back up option seems sensible.

I just wanted to check it is something that was ok (i.e. within the CEM test rules) to do.
If the Walsall schools are in reasonable travelling distance I would suggest your child does the exams.Its important to note there are no restrictions on boundaries and distance.Admission is only on the basis of the test score.I am not aware of any plans to change that.There are school buses that come from near the centre of Birmingham to the Walsall grammars.Many children also use public transport.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi aquafina,

There is no problem in doing both tests along with any independant schools tests too. However please do consider whether realistically your child would be able to attend. There is no point in putting a child through the extra stress and pressure if they won't be able to get to the school, or that the school would take an extreme amount of time to get to. I notice you were considering moving to Solihull. The journey to Walsall, especially the boys school would be very difficult from Solihull. If you are looking at public transport then download the 'moovit app' as that will give details of the journey using public transport. I truely believe that a child should not have to leave the house move than an hour before they are due in school and even that is tough going.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now