Autumn exams - govt consultation

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsChubbs

Autumn exams - govt consultation

Post by MrsChubbs »

Parents of current year 11 and year 13 - please read, discuss with your children and express your opinion via the online response form.
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... =immediate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TP123

Re: Autumn exams - govt consultation

Post by TP123 »

Consultation outcome posted: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ofqu ... rangements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AS + A levels: October
GCSEs: November
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Speaking to my youngest about the November GCSEs we have mentally moved on.She has been focusing on her pre A level reading and been doing some preparatory work.Whatever her results will be, we will live with them.The period of study for A levels is very short and intense.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

With no focussed studying since March, summer holidays, and A level preparation, it is going to be difficult to revert back to studying GCSE between 20th Aug and November and get the same momentum. I feel sorry for the students who have to make this choice, after all this confusion and various other challenges the lockdown has brought on them. Even DD's school has been sending them A level work (minimal though) relating to their A level choices.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

wildwest wrote:With no focussed studying since March, summer holidays, and A level preparation, it is going to be difficult to revert back to studying GCSE between 20th Aug and November and get the same momentum. I feel sorry for the students who have to make this choice, after all this confusion and various other challenges the lockdown has brought on them. Even DD's school has been sending them A level work (minimal though) relating to their A level choices.
Sorry, what do you mean - no focused studying? State schools have been running an online timetable and working harder than ever.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Alas, not all of them. While DD’s school posts material on a Monday for students to do when they can, the boys grammar down the road does live-streamed lessons. It’s highly variable between schools.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Sorry, what do you mean - no focused studying? State schools have been running an online timetable and working harder than ever.
My year 11 and 13 have had nothing and I think we are talking about year 11 here. My year 8 has had a bit but not a lot. They all attend what are seen as prestigious semi-selective schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What have parents done about chasing up work from schools?
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

DD’s school came up with their model of service after surveying families and staff. They stopped trying to simulate a school day when they realised students did not all have free access to computers or the internet. Many members of staff have similar issues and/or childcare concerns. Students were advised to aim for 3 hours self study a day to go through work posted online on Monday. But as DD is Year10 she’s possibly getting even more than other years. Year 11 have been given a suggested revision timetable and, for the last 6 weeks of the school year, access to bridging work for 6th form subjects. It has been made clear that a full online timetable isn’t possible.
Clearly your school, Guest55, has been able to do more.

Edited to add notes on Year11
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:What have parents done about chasing up work from schools?
In the households I know it has not been so easy. Small house, Dad shielding, mum working from home and rightly worried ++ about Dad , kids with concentration problem - school rightly said "just do what you can" .

In others where there are 1-2 keyworker parents, particularly those in emergency services / NHS, believe me - parental concentration has been elsewhere - more a case of "let's just get through this"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now