Alternatives to grammar schools in Sutton (SM1)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yes

Alternatives to grammar schools in Sutton (SM1)

Post by Yes »

There is a possibility for us to move to Sutton (SM1 postcode, 5 minutes walk from Sutton Grammar).

We are in North London now and my son is preparing for 11+ here. We have a strong back-up here as well, so if stay here we are safe.

But what about Sutton? I have registered him for Sutton test, but if he will not secure the place in grammar school there? What are the comprehensive school options for SM1?
tiffinboys

Re: Alternatives to grammar schools in Sutton (SM1)

Post by tiffinboys »

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200439/s ... l_year_7/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

There are some strong non-grammar schools but like most areas in London they're oversubscribed and it all depends on where you live.

Personally I'd avoid Stanley Park (now Oaks Park) like the plague. I like the new Harris Academy in Sutton (near the Marsden). I like Woodcote in Croydon but living in Sutton you'd be too far away. I know people with children at Overton Grange and they really rate it, I've not visited though. Greenshaw is good and has a partially selective intake. Glenthorne has a good reputation too.

Not sure if that helps though!
animemummy

Post by animemummy »

RuedeWakening wrote:There are some strong non-grammar schools but like most areas in London they're oversubscribed and it all depends on where you live.

Personally I'd avoid Stanley Park (now Oaks Park) like the plague. I like the new Harris Academy in Sutton (near the Marsden). I like Woodcote in Croydon but living in Sutton you'd be too far away. I know people with children at Overton Grange and they really rate it, I've not visited though. Greenshaw is good and has a partially selective intake. Glenthorne has a good reputation too.

Not sure if that helps though!
Hello there,

We didn't get a chance to visit Oak's Park School but thinking of putting it as one of the choices after a grammar school; in case we don't into the grammer school. There are chances that based on the catchment area we will get into it. Generally have received good feedback about the Oak's park school from other parents. Is there a particular reason you are advising to avoid it?
NomDePlume

Post by NomDePlume »

For my Y6 son, we have visited Oaks Park, Carshalton Boys and Greenshaw. We liked them all. My husband's favourite is OP (under new management, now part of Cheam Trust, fantastic sports facilities and lovely area), my favourite is Greenshaw and my son's favourite is CB (he prefers the GCSE subjects there and just loved the Open Day). So we've gone with CB as the top Comp choice on our CAF - but honestly would be happy with any. My son has several friends who are high achievers academically and have OP as their top Comp choice. We didn't visit Overton Grange unfortunately but have heard very positive feedback. We're not in the catchment for the Harris Sutton or Cheam but they are good schools. I've heard mixed reviews about Woodcote - but then you will never find a school where 100% of parents are happy. Glenthorne has a great reputation. You'd need to read about their unusual selection process but historically, a child who achieves the highest banding level (level 9, on par with SET level) is pretty much guaranteed a space regardless of catchment as the quota for Band 9 is not normally met.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now