CEM maths answer sheet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kon

CEM maths answer sheet

Post by Kon »

A very quick but hopefully a useful question. In CEM maths answer sheet, examples given in familiarisation guide suggests when marking answer, first you write the answer in the box(es) and then mark the lines in the columns, you will see what I mean if you have come across the guide. The marking itself is done by computer so presumably only looking for the lines in the columns. My question is whether anyone knows if there is a penalty to deduct points when no answer is written in the box? Apparently the box is there to help the student to mark the lines but it can also take precious time away and sometimes add confusion (to some) if the students have to fill in answers in multiple steps. Thanks, Kon
ToadMum

Re: CEM maths answer sheet

Post by ToadMum »

Kon wrote:A very quick but hopefully a useful question. In CEM maths answer sheet, examples given in familiarisation guide suggests when marking answer, first you write the answer in the box(es) and then mark the lines in the columns, you will see what I mean if you have come across the guide. The marking itself is done by computer so presumably only looking for the lines in the columns. My question is whether anyone knows if there is a penalty to deduct points when no answer is written in the box? Apparently the box is there to help the student to mark the lines but it can also take precious time away and sometimes add confusion (to some) if the students have to fill in answers in multiple steps. Thanks, Kon
No idea whether the mark would not be given if the number wasn't written at the top, but in general, the best advice you can give a candidate is that they should read any instructions on the paper, listen to any spoken instructions and do exactly as they are instructed to do. If you are thinking of telling your DC that they shouldn't worry about not doing something that they are instructed to do, to save time, I really wouldn't.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kon

Post by Kon »

I understand and agree with what you are saying, but am confused with the instruction itself given that the students might only have 30 sec on each question and probably 2 seconds to write the answer so wasting the 2 seconds to write in the box will have significant impact. When dd did a practice paper she actually forgot to mark the lines after putting answer in the box on one question so she would have lost the score even she had the correct answer in the box. In CCSE it is very clear to me that the working steps do not count only the answers in the box do. Thanks
Meribel

Post by Meribel »

My daughter was told on the day that she must mark both parts when she took the test. I suppose if the computer couldn’t read the answer and it had to be manually checked then they would use the answer at the top. I wouldn’t give instructions that contradict the instructions given. It will only take a second to write the number on.
Kon

Post by Kon »

Fair points. Best not to confuse them.