CEM consortium (marking/STT policy)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
payel123

CEM consortium (marking/STT policy)

Post by payel123 »

Hello
I am curious to understand how the consortium tests are marked .The test being a common one the raw scores would obviously not change .So is the standardisation policy different for different schools?So on the same paper DS might get a 334 (pass)for stretford but Sale grammar might deem his scores as a fail?does the standardisation occur basis the entire cohort in addition to the age standardisation?if my child has a raw score of eg 72% ,will it be scaled down or up depending on the school?.
Heresy goes a 65% in mocks could sail you through ?do you concur ?

Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: CEM consortium (marking/STT policy)

Post by ToadMum »

Do you have to specify in advance which school(s) you want your DC to be considered for? If so, then presumably the standardised score for each school would be based on a different sub-cohort of the overall pool of candidates, with a different mean raw score, standard deviation etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Omega250

Post by Omega250 »

Just on the question of why standardised scores are different for different schools:

The key factor inside this calculation is*:

(raw score – average raw score)/ (standard deviation of the raw scores)

So, you can see that although child’s ‘raw score’ is fixed, the other two numbers, i.e. ‘average raw score’ and ‘standard deviation of the raw scores’ are different for different cohorts.

*(without applying age allowance)
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Yes, the raw score stays the same but the actual score for each school is different. If you read through the threads on this board, you'll see that the variation can be substantial. I think there was something like 20+ marks difference between the scores for AGGS and Stretford last year. They usually go from AGGS being the lowest score, then Urmston, then Sale then Stretford. In your example below, if your DS got 334 for Stretford, he will almost certainly not get a qualifying score for Sale.

I don't think there is a "definite" score for getting through - I certainly wouldn't expect someone getting 65% to "sail through".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now