University choice

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumsworld

University choice

Post by mumsworld »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick query. My ds wants to study Economics and he has got a few offers from different universities. He is unable to decide between Lancaster university and Southampton. Would really appreciate your valuable input/advice.

Thank you
scary mum

Re: University choice

Post by scary mum »

I know one of the universities (Southanpton), but not the other. Was he able to visit last year? If so, which did he prefer? Is one a campus, and one not, again, which did he prefer, or would be like a city university? Has he looked at the modules to see what appeals to him more? How often do you think he would be coming home, is one closer than the other? Clubs that are offered? How close if the first year accomodation (would be be able to fall out of bed & go to lectures or would be spend 30 minutes on a bus/walking/cycling? For what it's worth, I know people at both universities and all are very happy there. How do they fair in the league tables (not that I think they are terribly important, but if you are stuck for a deciding factor...)?

Sorry, I'm not much help, but some things to think about until someone more useful comes along :D
scary mum
mumsworld

Post by mumsworld »

scary mum wrote:I know one of the universities (Southanpton), but not the other. Was he able to visit last year? If so, which did he prefer? Is one a campus, and one not, again, which did he prefer, or would be like a city university? Has he looked at the modules to see what appeals to him more? How often do you think he would be coming home, is one closer than the other? Clubs that are offered? How close if the first year accomodation (would be be able to fall out of bed & go to lectures or would be spend 30 minutes on a bus/walking/cycling? For what it's worth, I know people at both universities and all are very happy there. How do they fair in the league tables (not that I think they are terribly important, but if you are stuck for a deciding factor...)?

Sorry, I'm not much help, but some things to think about until someone more useful comes along :D
Thank you for this......definitely a few things to think about. My ds got this offers in clearing. He didn't get a place in the universities he was hoping to get as his grades were lower than the predicted ones.

So he hasn't visited both the above universities which makes the decision making process even more tougher.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://youtu.be/pfGanbBKF-Q

Lovely walk-through of a deserted Lancaster campus :).
Lancaster is collegiate, so yes, in first year (assuming accommodation is available to those going through Clearing?), no great distance to walk in first year. Second and subsequent years, accommodation in the city, a fairly short bus ride away. Lancaster city centre not exactly a nightlife hot spot, but people do slope off to Manchester for clubbing etc (not been there since I was 9 months old, I have to admit - I was born there but we moved away from the area and never had the opportunity / need to return - info gleaned from friends of our DC who have been at the university- and loved it). Good study abroad options if you get the chance, inc e.g. McGill and McMaster in Canada.

A commodation in Southampton, two main sites about a ten minute walk and a 20 minute walk respectively (also, I assume, there must be private halls in the city now, ?some available to both UoS and Solent students. You used to get a free bus pass included in hall fees. Bigger, more bustling city, airport closeby, reasonably close to London. Less 'campus-y' campus.

Southampton is Russell Group, Lancaster not - but many people would regard the latter as the RG's loss. Personally, I'd be happy for DS2 to choose either next year (he's yr12), if only they offered his subject.

No idea about Economics specifically at either, though, I'm afraid.

Is either university offering virtual open days for clearing applicants in the next few days?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Lancaster's business offering is considered very strong and so this might be a factor to consider in view of an Economics degree. Do consider the weather though. FWIW DD1 did and Economics degree and if given this choice we would have definitely gone for Lancaster.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/online-open-day/

Where it says, 'Available until 31st July', the video does still play.

http://virtualopenday.southampton.ac.uk/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

So, where did he choose in the end?
mumsworld

Post by mumsworld »

ToadMum wrote:So, where did he choose in the end?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was a bit busy, so didn't check here.

My ds finally decided to choose Lancaster. The responses here were very helpful. Thanks everyone.