Doubts over new A-level grading

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: Doubts over new A-level grading

Post by tiffinboys »

I think it will now happen.The change is easier with GCSE's. There are real complications with A levels and the knock on effects on Universities.
I think universities should suspend allocations and wait for the revised results. It will happen sooner or later. The algorithm is totally in mess as more and more data is coming out.
DiLusso

Post by DiLusso »

A friend has received a reply from MP saying there is to be a government announcement this afternoon.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

DiLusso wrote:A friend has received a reply from MP saying there is to be a government announcement this afternoon.
It’s in several news threads. 4pm supposedly

EDIT.
However our local Conservative MP Seem to not think any u turn is coming. Payed 45 minutes ago
EXAM RESULTS

‪I spent time off social media answering emails from students & parents about exam results this weekend.

We are contacting universities about offers where necessary & Ministers have helped. If you are a Stroud student or parent & have issues about grades affecting your next step, please get in touch if you need to.

If you sent me an email expressing views about the grade system generally, I tried to answer as many as I could but I did prioritise students. You will receive a response. I’ve added a few thoughts below.

The ongoing delays to the appeal process is indefensible. Our schools want to be able to provide answers for students, who are worried‬ & want to plan their next step. Schools are also running out of holiday time to sort appeals.

BTEC students feel they are being forgotten. The appeals process must cater for them too & I understand this will be the case.

There are clearly issues being debated in respect of relying on predicted teacher grades across the country. This isn’t criticising teachers. I understand some schools mark more cautiously than others and I am informed a high number of these grades are not normally met (79% last year) plus that relying on them would negatively impact other year groups who have also been affected by Covid. I’m not therefore sure predicted grades are the answer for this cohort or Y12, particularly not now some university places are agreed etc. Regardless - we need Ofqual (the exam regulators) & DfE to decide asap.

In principle I would support GCSE results being delayed if necessary & working with FE colleges & 6th forms to understand ahead of the results how they will approach grades & admissions. Have not discussed this with schools & our college yet though.

‪This year has been awful due to Covid & the system has clearly not worked as hoped despite a 12,000 consultation & Teaching Unions approving. It has been heartbreaking to hear from students who understandably feel gutted if they received a grade lower than expected. I’ve been there myself.

Finally, I am really against telling young people their lives have been ruined or futures ‘robbed’ even with everything that is going on. We have to focus on finding practical solutions & teach them that setbacks can be overcome no matter how gutted they feel now.

We will keep you informed.

Hope you are well.

Siobhan
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

Even Wales has made a U turn!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Basically this MP is going to accept the fiasco for the sake of Party unity.

IDS and K Baker have made better comments.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Writing is on the wall for GW and NG, and Ofqual executives.
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

It will be even more unfair competing with Scottish or Welsh students who've been awarded their CAGs
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I did wonder who exactly was consulted and what consulted actually meant. She says the unions approved it. We need transparency from everyone as well as a solution.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

From outside, policy looked okay on macro level.

In practice, schools not given proper % of each grade to the cohort.
Also fast improving schools not catered for.
No mechanism to deal with possible bias and discrimination in teachers’ assessments.

Govt and Ofqual should quickly accept the CAGs and move forward.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/teacher-grade ... o-reports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully England will fall in line with the other home nations when the decision is announced at 4.00pm.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Mock around the clock - £15 off your first mock exam