Doubts over new A-level grading

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mock and roll
tiffinboys

Re: Doubts over new A-level grading

Post by tiffinboys »

Ofqual must be regretting cancelling the exams abruptly, months in advance. As schools were being closed, they could have planned for socially distanced exams. Evidence from other countries about tackling virus was available at the time.

Now our children are left with the mess. Some schools have grossly over inflated the grades. Others went too cautious. Even within the schools, there are grievances. Some children are claiming to be harshly assessed and given much lower grades than their previous grades/assessments. Some schools relied heavily on mocks and less on other assessments.

Exams should not have been cancelled. I am saying this from day one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hopefully, as well as writing their, Please sort, since we didn't cheat, we should be allowed a chanceto cheat in retrospect letter, WCGS will be raising the issue with the specific exam boards concerned, since they presumably have a bit more hard evidence to go on (can actually name the schools locally they can prove cheated in their CAG calculations). The new rules on appeals don't allow schools to challenge their own CAGs, unless on the grounds of admin errors somewhere in the process, as they had to sign the equivalent of a 'fit and well' form when they submitted them (this, of course, is essentially what WCGS appears to be trying to do). But the exam boards have been asked to take very seriously any allegations of malpractice such as bias and discrimination.

Although I'm not sure the kind of bias they had in mind was, the school showed bias in the treatment of a large proportion of their year 11 and 13 by 'assessing' their 'realistic' grades for every subject st a level we know they hadn't a cat in Hades' chance of getting.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

There are huge differences in grading in different schools. In a local private school, they actually told all the students to let them know what grades they need to go to their University of choice and they were awarded exactly those.
In my daughter's Grammar school, they were cautious and one of the girls lost her medicine place at Imperial because the teacher "cautiously" gave her an A instead of the A* the girl had always been getting. Apparently she didn't do very well in mocks as she had been preparing for the interviews. Many girls will be taking an exam or two in October. My daughter had just been lucky!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Lots of massaging of grades at our local private schools too.
The only winners in this whole awful business are private schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2020/08/1 ... l-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oxford to honour all offers where CAGs meet the offer requirements.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Latest from Imperial College:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/app ... what-next/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universities have now received the official revised A level results based on CAGs.

From UCL:
The London university said: "UCL’s priority is to be as fair as possible to all applicants, recognising that they have worked hard during unprecedented circumstances and deserve their first choice university.

"We are delighted to accept all students who meet the terms of their original offer on all programmes that do not have an externally-determined cap (such as medicine).

"For those students who have met our offer to study medicine based on teacher-assessed grades but do not yet have a place confirmed, we are working with the relevant agencies about places this year and we will guarantee a deferred place for next year."
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@skipsmash

Latest from Bristol University:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/results/met-your-offer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If your revised grades (CAGs) now meet the terms of your original offer from us, your place will be confirmed if you wish to take it up. Where courses have an externally determined cap (such as dentistry or medicine) or there are other constraints such as health and safety considerations, we may need to defer the place for a year.
We emailed most of you on Monday 24 August to let you know if we are now able to confirm your place or not. A small number of you may not have heard from us yet, but we will email you as soon as we can. Where courses have an externally determined cap (such as dentistry or medicine) or there are other constraints such as health and safety considerations, we may need to defer the place for a year.
Hope you already have, or will soon hear, the good news.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CAGs should never have been used - lots of evidence of improper practice.

The algorithm jut needed refining to deal with small cohorts and low entry subjects - results do not improve 12% in a year. A decent mathematician could have predicted the original idea of the algorithm was OK but the tweaking was erroneously applied.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:CAGs should never have been used - lots of evidence of improper practice.

The algorithm jut needed refining to deal with small cohorts and low entry subjects - results do not improve 12% in a year. A decent mathematician could have predicted the original idea of the algorithm was OK but the tweaking was erroneously applied.
I agree.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Clueless_mum wrote:There are huge differences in grading in different schools. In a local private school, they actually told all the students to let them know what grades they need to go to their University of choice and they were awarded exactly those.
In my daughter's Grammar school, they were cautious and one of the girls lost her medicine place at Imperial because the teacher "cautiously" gave her an A instead of the A* the girl had always been getting. Apparently she didn't do very well in mocks as she had been preparing for the interviews. Many girls will be taking an exam or two in October. My daughter had just been lucky!
What happens if you get lower grades than your CAG? Can you choose which one you use?
One of the problems I see is that not everyone had the same levels of teaching during lockdown. I know many of my sons’ friends at private schools had online lessons from day one. When they could return, many private schools had them back every day. This presumably because they had the space?
My son, in year 12, got one week back at his school.

My sons go to a very well organised grammar school, but their online provision was very different from teacher to teacher. Ranging from non-existent to once a week per subject. It was the same with homework and marking.
So, if those students had taken exams, I’m sure they would have been at a disadvantage with regards to those who had lessons every day, whether online or in person.

Salsa