Structure/ timings of Kent papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fmmg

Structure/ timings of Kent papers

Post by Fmmg »

I would be grateful for clarity on the format of the papers for the Kent test.

For the Maths/ English paper Kent CC says that it is "1 hour. Each section will involve a 5 minute practice exercise followed by a 25 minute test." Does this mean that the students will be told when the 5 mins Maths practice starts and ends, and the 25 minutes begins and ends? Then all students have to stop, then start the 5 mins English practice, then stop before then all starting the 25 min paper together?
Or do they do all start the paper at the same time, and continue working through the whole paper for 1 hour, with the 5/ 25 mins timings being guides but they could just work through for the 1 hour spending 1 minute on the practice for instance and 29 mins on the actual questions...?

(On that point, do they get marks for the practice questions or are they exactly that, just practice before the actual test questions?)

Similarly the reasoning paper "will contain a verbal reasoning section and a non-verbal reasoning section of roughly the same length. The non-verbal reasoning will be split into short sections, administered and timed individually". Does this mean that the invigilator will start the time, tell the students to do a section, tell them to stop that section, then tell them when to start the next section...?

Apologies if this is a confusing question. In a mock my child did recently they were not aware that they had to do both maths and English in the time given, with no stop in between, so had to do the English section in 5 minutes after the 5 minute warning. Of course, this is the reason we have them do mocks. But it has massively increased my child's anxiety around these tests, so anything I can do to alleviate that is welcome.

thanks.
olucares

Re: Structure/ timings of Kent papers

Post by olucares »

Fmmg wrote:I would be grateful for clarity on the format of the papers for the Kent test.

For the Maths/ English paper Kent CC says that it is "1 hour. Each section will involve a 5 minute practice exercise followed by a 25 minute test." Does this mean that the students will be told when the 5 mins Maths practice starts and ends, and the 25 minutes begins and ends? Then all students have to stop, then start the 5 mins English practice, then stop before then all starting the 25 min paper together?
Or do they do all start the paper at the same time, and continue working through the whole paper for 1 hour, with the 5/ 25 mins timings being guides but they could just work through for the 1 hour spending 1 minute on the practice for instance and 29 mins on the actual questions...?

(On that point, do they get marks for the practice questions or are they exactly that, just practice before the actual test questions?)

Similarly the reasoning paper "will contain a verbal reasoning section and a non-verbal reasoning section of roughly the same length. The non-verbal reasoning will be split into short sections, administered and timed individually". Does this mean that the invigilator will start the time, tell the students to do a section, tell them to stop that section, then tell them when to start the next section...?

Apologies if this is a confusing question. In a mock my child did recently they were not aware that they had to do both maths and English in the time given, with no stop in between, so had to do the English section in 5 minutes after the 5 minute warning. Of course, this is the reason we have them do mocks. But it has massively increased my child's anxiety around these tests, so anything I can do to alleviate that is welcome.

thanks.

They will be told when the time for the practice is over and when they should start/stop the real questions. .............[edited by moderator]
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion.
Newsteadmum1

Post by Newsteadmum1 »

In the real test they will be allocated times for each section and there will be a break between the maths/English etc. The practice questions are not marked. What would be useful would be for the invigilators to warn the children when they are 5 minutes from the end. I can’t remember if this happens.