AGGS September 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kasin

AGGS September 2020

Post by kasin »

Not sure if it is the right forum to ask but just wanted to check with the parents whose daughters are starting Year 7 in September 2020. Has anyone already bought the uniform etc. and what is the best place to get the same. School has shared two uniform shop's details but not sure if everything is available at both the places and which one is best.
Mandy21

Re: AGGS September 2020

Post by Mandy21 »

Monkhouse (Altrincham) just stocks PE kit, John McHugh stocks the day uniform. As far as I know, you can't get it anywhere else.

We went this week, some items not in stock, not due in for a week or so. All PE kit is sent off to be embroidered which again takes a couple of weeks. You have to have an appointment & can't try on. I'd try to get it sorted sooner rather than later.
kasin

Post by kasin »

Oh is it :( We were planning to go in first week of August, was under the impression that basics like blouses and skirts can be bought from Tesco, ASDA etc. Doesn't seem so
kasin

Post by kasin »

Any further suggestions on this, may be from people whose daughters are already going to Alty Girls. Found the below two shops are too expensive if you want more than one set. Is it not ok to buy the items(the ones which does not have any school logos) from other places.
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

Unfortunately the skirts, trousers and blouses are specific to AGGS, so you'll need to buy them all from John McHugh.

The skirts are blue pleated skirts, but are a particular style and shade rather than generic navy ones. The trousers have the AGGS logo on them, and the blouses have three-quarter sleeves and a revere collar, and are again specific to the school.

Same deal with the sports kit - it has to come from Monkhouse, and some items have to be sent away to be embroidered with your daughter's name. It is a pain to have to buy from two different shops in two different towns, and the uniform isn't cheap. On the upside, the blazer is not nearly as expensive as those from some other schools.
enema

Post by enema »

Kasin, AGGS have a stock of good quality second hand uniform items, they regularly advertise it on Twitter - maybe ring the office and enquire. You could get second or even first set items from there. Eg they advertised new jumpers for £7 on 22 July on their Twitter feed. Loads of schools have second hand uniform shops that are well used. The only thing I found that truely needed to be new was the school shoes and astro trainers.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Is there a whatsapp group or forum for AGGS parents? It would be good to have a platform for asking questions.
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

Tina wrote:Is there a whatsapp group or forum for AGGS parents? It would be good to have a platform for asking questions.
Once term has started, you'll be set up with a parents' WhatsApp group for each (year 7) form. It's really useful. Last year the school hosted an evening for parents, where parents from each form met each other and the form tutor. It was a lovely way to get to meet other parents - usually difficult once children are at high school.

Not sure how this will work this year though, due to COVID restrictions.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thank you PercyMum - that's very helpful to know.
Enema mentioned the astro trainers - I had no idea about that.
PercyMum

Post by PercyMum »

Tina wrote: Enema mentioned the astro trainers - I had no idea about that.
I think the astro trainers are optional. My daughter's not had any, and never been asked about them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now