Address for secondary school application

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hmmm

Address for secondary school application

Post by Hmmm »

I have been trying to contact Sutton council about it, but so far unsuccessfully. Hopefully someone here would be able to help. We decided to buy another property as an investment and to rent it out . We found the house we'd like to buy, but then I realised it wil be counted as our second property and it could cause a problem for us. Right now we are in a catchment for both girls' grammar (WHSG and Nonsuch) schools. Second property is a way beyond M25 and require a full refurbishment. While we will carry out the refurbishment we will have to pay council tax on that property as well. All this is falling in the period when we need to apply for my daughter's secondary school (she will be sitting entrance exam for both girls grammars, hopefully). Will we need to prove to the council that we are still at our current address and will be staying here? Could they count a newly bought property as our primary address? How can we proove that we are not moving out from our current property? I wand to do everything right and avoid any problems.
hermanmunster

Re: Address for secondary school application

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect if it was queried that they would look at things like:

-Where your child was going to school for year 6?
-where your child is registered with a GP?
-where you are registered for child benefit?

Might be best to ask the council what evidence they would need, TBH it doesn't sound like there should be a problem - that is usually when the whole family buy a bedsit and pretend they are living in it full time
Tinkers

Re: Address for secondary school application

Post by Tinkers »

I guessing it would be seen as unfeasible for you to live there and your DD to continue at her present primary?

Being open, honest and above board from the outset (as you are trying to be) with the LA should mean you don’t have issues. If your DD is staying at the same primary and she couldn’t attend if you moved, that also helps. Further down the line rental agreements would help but obviously you don’t have that yet.

If you later changed your mind and decided to live there, then the school/LA (quite rightly) would investigate.