Tiffin girls school 11+ best books for preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Toto123

Tiffin girls school 11+ best books for preparation

Post by Toto123 »

I have seen different books but can not decide which one to choose!
Bonds, cgp or anything else? Which one of these books is very close to the Tiffin girls school test level?
TIA
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin girls school 11+ best books for preparation

Post by tiffinboys »

Few years back, for multiple choice stage 1, we relied mostly on GL papers alongside few others for variety. First Past the Post also considered strong enough.

But first concentrate on covering whole of KS2 syllabus and then some of KS3 work relating to KS2 syllabus. Most candidates find Creative writing difficult and often that makes the difference.

Lot of reading and improving on vocabulary is essential.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
The-Kingstonian

Post by The-Kingstonian »

Specifically for Tiffin Girls, our tutor recommended:
- Schofield & Sims English 11+ Progress Papers
- GCP 11+ Math Word Problems, 10 minute tests

We found them quite useful. I hope this helps!
Toto123

Post by Toto123 »

The-Kingstonian wrote:Specifically for Tiffin Girls, our tutor recommended:
- Schofield & Sims English 11+ Progress Papers
- GCP 11+ Math Word Problems, 10 minute tests

We found them quite useful. I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot
Toto123

Post by Toto123 »

tiffinboys wrote:Few years back, for multiple choice stage 1, we relied mostly on GL papers alongside few others for variety. First Past the Post also considered strong enough.

But first concentrate on covering whole of KS2 syllabus and then some of KS3 work relating to KS2 syllabus. Most candidates find Creative writing difficult and often that makes the difference.

Lot of reading and improving on vocabulary is essential.

Thank you
Schulte

Post by Schulte »

CGP 10 minute comprehensions are also useful.

None of those books you can buy will be anywhere near the difficulty level of the actual exam though so prepare your DD to be surprised... and make sure she reads a whole range of good books. We found an exam paper company that started selling 'Tiffin type' practice papers (quite expensive) and my DD said they were at least vaguely similar. Worth looking at those. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were from!
bridge

Post by bridge »

My daughters view was that the preparation we did was much tougher than the actual exam. We used mainly the books that have already been mentioned and past papers that I bought on eBay. I had some of my daughter's friends' parents ask if their children could join our preparation. What I realised was that they did not have a comprehensive understanding of the KS2 syllabus - literally the basics. It's no good learning KS3 etc just have a very good understanding of the basics. Then move onto test papers.
Toto123

Post by Toto123 »

Schulte wrote:CGP 10 minute comprehensions are also useful.

None of those books you can buy will be anywhere near the difficulty level of the actual exam though so prepare your DD to be surprised... and make sure she reads a whole range of good books. We found an exam paper company that started selling 'Tiffin type' practice papers (quite expensive) and my DD said they were at least vaguely similar. Worth looking at those. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were from!
Thanks for your response.
Can you recommend good books please?
Schulte

Post by Schulte »

I would start with all the children’s classics. Bookstores such as Waterstones, newspapers including the Guardian and even Wikipedia have all published ‘must-read’ lists so just google and pick the ones that your DD might like but definitely go for a range of genres and eras so she gets used to a huge range of writing styles and vocabulary.

One recent book that I’ve never seen on any list but is truly wonderful is Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell. Ditto Slice of the Moon by Sandi Toksvig, and its sequel too. I read them myself and really enjoyed them.

Some non fiction is useful too, children’s magazines like Aquila or even How It Works although that’s really aimed at older readers.
Schulte

Post by Schulte »

The way we always chose books (my DDs are proper bookworms) was to buy a book from the ‘children’s classics’ table at Waterstones and then look at the inside cover for more suggestions of similarly great books. My problem now is that the girls have read most classics and I’m running out of ideas for what to give them next, but that’s an entirely different conversation...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now