Tell me about the schools (if we can't visit)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Polgara_Glos

Tell me about the schools (if we can't visit)

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Hello

This is mainly aimed at those parents with DC already in the schools, but if you've visited and can help, please do so!

So, - assuming we can only do virtual school tours, (which don't give a true feel of a school), can you please tell me what you and your DC liked or disliked about a particular school? What do you think I, as a parent should know? We can't go with gut instinct on a dry powerpoint presentation ;)

E.g. from looking at this website, the issue with Denmark Road school reducing their library, or is a particular school really strong in languages? Or great links with local companies?

I know that this is only opinion and will differ from one family to the next and we should go visit, but it is looking increasingly likely we may not be able to. It may give rise to something I would ask a question about during a virtual session.

Thank you :)
Brackenboo

Re: Tell me about the schools (if we can't visit)

Post by Brackenboo »

My DD starts at Crypt next week. I didn't overly like the feel of Denmark Rd and found Ribston and Crypt more welcoming. It then came down to the fact that my DD preferred the idea of a co-ed school rather than just girls. One of her close friends is starting at Denmark Rd as she preferred that. I've been very impressed with all the communication we have had from Crypt and were so pleased they managed to still hold a move-in day.
Flash

Post by Flash »

My DD went to Denmark Road and loved every minute there. She had a great rapport with her teachers. It has a real nurturing and caring family feel. I can't rate it highly enough.

My DS is at STR which is also a wonderful school. They have been amazing the past few months.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I've no experience of having kids at any of them, but I did go to some open evenings last October. Visited Ribston, Crypt and DRHS. We spent at least 2 hours at each, but only spoke to the teachers and students, didn't bother with heads talks, we thought we would listen this year :roll:
We liked all the schools, all the kids were lively, intelligent and a credit to the schools. Main high-/low-lights for us were...
Ribston: really seemed to care about the whole child, seemed very supportive. Lots of outdoor space, a pool and dance studio. From my perspective no downsides. DD liked it, but preferred DRHS.

DRHS: very good results and seemed to challenge the girls to work hard. I'm not so confident in their ability/desire to support those who are struggling, but I didn't get a bad feeling if that makes sense, just thought Ribston seemed better in that regard. Not a lot of outside space on site, so I'm not sure where the girls go during break times. I think DD is drawn by the proximity to our house and the building...she quite fancies becoming an architect!

Crypt: liked the fact that it's a mixed school. Also felt supportive. Loads of outside space and facilities seemed to be very good. Again, from my perspective no real downsides. DD isn't so keen on a mixed school, but I prefer mixed. DD didn't get the feeling they are set up so well for girls, but I think that will improve year on year.

As I say, these are just our thoughts with no real experience or knowledge, just what we came away with.
techiedad

Post by techiedad »

Flash wrote:My DD went to Denmark Road and loved every minute there. She had a great rapport with her teachers. It has a real nurturing and caring family feel. I can't rate it highly enough.
Unfortunately our experience was pretty much the opposite. I think the above applies if you're really high-performing, if your DC is more middling they will find it hard: the pace and intensity of the work is right at the top end and relentless. A number of my DD's friends left the school because of this, DD stayed but found it a real struggle. Her GCSE grades were excellent (that's what the school is all about) but it came at a price, it was not a happy experience.
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Have a DD about to go into Year 8 at Pate's (and two more daughters about to sit the test in October!)

Although her Year 7 was cut short, DD absolutely loves Pate's. As someone who works in a Glos secondary school, I must admit I had completely the wrong impression of Pate's before I got to know it as a parent. I (wrongly) believed that it would be a school which put immense pressure on students and was - to use a cliche - an "academic hot house". I couldn't have been more wrong.

Pate's students are encouraged to grow as much in terms of their character, interests and hobbies as they are academically. The emphasis is on independence and self-improvement and growth - to be the best person you can be. This completely suits my DD as she is very organised and disciplined in her studies and has a wide range of hobbies and interests which are catered for by the seemingly 100s of clubs and societies offered by Pate's. The house system is very important at Pate's and children are encouraged to throw themselves into house life and competitions (it really is a bit like Hogwarts!) My DD has grown in confidence hugely over the course of this year and is (in her words) finally in a place where she can simply be herself.

Their approach to lockdown followed this ethos with work being set weekly and students expected to organise themselves. Support was offered remotely and my daughter also had a positive experience going in for a few days a week as a Key Worker's child when I was in school full time during Term 6.

The teachers at Pate's are friendly, supportive, and care hugely about the students. They are highly skilled and inspirational in a number of cases. My DD has found a genuine passion for subjects she showed little to no interest in before starting there!

I cannot recommend it highly enough and would be overjoyed if her twin sisters joined her there next year

Hope this helps.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

This is so helpful, thank you. It’s helping me form questions to ask and things I hadn’t considered.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

I think it is really tricky to make a judgement about a school anyway, based on a couple of visits and even harder in the current climate. What seems like a good fit for your child at age 10/11 may not suit them several years later. To some extent, it is a leap of faith.

My DD has just finished Y11 at SHS and is continuing into Y12. She really wanted to go from the first visit back in Y5. On the whole, her experience has been positive but with some ups and downs; it took her a while to settle into Y7; she really blossomed and thrived in Y8/Y9; a bit of teenage cynicism and being jaded set in during Y10/Y11. She got great GCSE grades and the school really know what they are doing academically; their results prove that. There are lots of opportunities available - school concerts/drama productions/Duke of Edinburgh/ski-trip/sports etc in which she took part and I think she made the most of it, but she's not always been 100% happy especially in latter years and the academic pressure has been there as I suspect it is for all GS. I think she possibly would have moved 6th forms, if not for COVID and a surgery coming up which made her decide to stay put. I liked the fact that the 6th form was co-ed with Marling originally and was disappointed that they separated a year ago.

We did look at Denmark Road at the time, but logistics for SHS made more sense; the schools felt broadly similar in terms of achievements, pastoral care and environment if I'm being honest.

My DS is about to go into Y9 at Marling. We only looked at there and The Crypt for him, which was about to go co-ed in Sept 2018. I did get a really good feeling about The Crypt at the time and if he'd pushed for co-ed would happily have sent him there.

Best of luck with the decision!
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

My dad is about to go into y10 at RHHS. It fits her like a glove, it’s comfortable warm and fluffy! Seriously though she feels very much as though she’s part of the Ribston family. Through extracurricular clubs and mixing the girls for some of their lessons she has made friends in not just other classes but in other years too. She is not sporty, like many other girls, but this hasn’t been a problem and she has found her niche.

Academically she has been pushed, but not to the expense of her mental health. RHHS started lockdown with masses of work and then readjusted the level following a consultation with parents and girls - they listened. They also gave all girls a chance to come back in for a few hours in the summer for some wellbeing sessions.

All communication that I’ve personally had with teachers and the school in general has been responded to and dealt with effectively. All in all I am very happy that this is the right school for my daughter and that she will achieve things that I never did at my Grammar school!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I feel we need one for the comps as well :D

This is all helping immensely. Thank you.