Simplifying Fractions

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Simplifying Fractions

Post by Daogroupie »

What year would this be taught?

If a student was not able to do it would this be mentioned as an area of concern at parents evening or in the end of year report?

Could a parent expect this to be raised, if the parent had informed the school that the student was preparing for the 11 plus?

Thanks for any info. DG
OverEagerDad

Re: Simplifying Fractions

Post by OverEagerDad »

Our biggest looked at equivalent fractions in Y3, this was only really an initial toe-dipping mind.

OED
Nella

Post by Nella »

Simplifying fractions is part of the yr 6 curriculum so shouldn’t be in an 11+ test.

If the pupil in question is in year 5 then I would have thought there would be no reason for the class teacher to raise it as an area of concern.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote:What year would this be taught?

If a student was not able to do it would this be mentioned as an area of concern at parents evening or in the end of year report?

Could a parent expect this to be raised, if the parent had informed the school that the student was preparing for the 11 plus?

Thanks for any info. DG
....... Have you looked in the National curriculum? What sort of fractions, quarters, eighths or more complex?

Primary NC maths: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 220714.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KS3: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... matics.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SH031

Post by SH031 »

My niece (in year 5) had some equivalent fraction homework in the lockdown. In terms of notifying parents of particular topics I would be very doubtful based on personal experience with my kids.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Simplifying fractions is part of the yr 6 curriculum so shouldn’t be in an 11+ test.
11 plus providers can and do include maths that are not necessarily year 5, many will use year 6 material.

This will depend on the area/school.

Bucks have declared
Maths or English content in the test does not go beyond what the national curriculum expects children to know and be able to do by the end of Year 5.
Patricia
olucares

Post by olucares »

Nella wrote:Simplifying fractions is part of the yr 6 curriculum so shouldn’t be in an 11+ test.

If the pupil in question is in year 5 then I would have thought there would be no reason for the class teacher to raise it as an area of concern.
Many schools teach this in year 4, including my son's school.