Sale grammar or Altrincham boys Grammar which one better?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

d_shubh

Sale grammar or Altrincham boys Grammar which one better?

Post by d_shubh »

I am looking for honest opinion from parents of these 2 schools.

Altrincham boys has GL entry pattern which is comparatively easier than CEM of sale grammar
So I assume, the boys in Sale grammar would be certainly academically better than Altrincham boys.

Cant compare GCSE results as I think, CEM exam style batch of Sale Grammar might not have done GCSE yet?

How do you compare the infrastructure ?
If your child passes both exams, distance etc is not an issue, which one would you choose?

Many thanks
scary mum

Re: Sale grammar or Altrincham boys Grammar which one better

Post by scary mum »

d_shubh wrote:I am looking for honest opinion from parents of these 2 schools.

Altrincham boys has GL entry pattern which is comparatively easier than CEM of sale grammar
So I assume, the boys in Sale grammar would be certainly better than Altrincham boys.

If your child passes both exams, distance etc is not an issue, which one would you choose?

Many thanks
I think saying that the boys are "better" is a bit of a stretch. What do the league tables say? Not that I would put a huge amount of faith in those for 5 years down the line, but I suppose you have to use something. Were you able to visit the schools pre lockdown?
I would choose based on the type of school you want.
scary mum
d_shubh

Post by d_shubh »

I actually meant academically better.

Cant compare GCSE results as I think, CEM exam style batch of Sale Grammar might not have done GCSE yet?

scary mum wrote:
d_shubh wrote:I am looking for honest opinion from parents of these 2 schools.

So I assume, the boys in Sale grammar would be certainly better than Altrincham boys.

Many thanks
I think saying that the boys are "better" is a bit of a stretch. What do the league tables say? Not that I would put a huge amount of faith in those for 5 years down the line, but I suppose you have to use something. Were you able to visit the schools pre lockdown?
I would choose based on the type of school you want.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know how these schools select, but if they take the top x% from those that sit the exam, it makes no difference how easy or hard the exam is, or is perceived to be it will still be the same percentage that get through. What makes you think CEM is harder?
scary mum
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I think it's difficult to compare. The GL (in my view) was easier for my son simply because it played to his strengths (Maths / Coding etc). CEM is more "English" based (comprehension, extensive vocab etc). I don't think you can say - generically - that GL is easier for everyone.

I think academically they're both very good schools. Your son is likely to do well at either school. I think it depends on what type of boy your son is - whether he'd thrive in an all boy environment, it can be quite focused on sport, competitive etc with very high expectations, or whether he'd do better in a mixed school with arguably a more diverse cohort etc. Not sure if the open evenings have been possible or what they're running instead, but if you can get access to the schools, it would be really useful.
d_shubh

Post by d_shubh »

Many thanks Scary mum Mandy21 for the replies.

Do you think the tutoring is different/better any particular school?
My son is academically very competitive, so I want a school which will push to his limits.
Otherwise he doesn't enjoy it.
Omega250

Post by Omega250 »

I live in this area and know many parents who sent their sons to both schools - they are both obviously good. But the point is, I never found a single parent who chose Sale grammar over Alty boys, if that makes sense. My daughter took the CEM exam three years ago, her score for Sale grammar was several points higher than for Alty girls (I undersand I'm not comparing like with like here as they are both CEM, but I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make!).
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

In reply to Omega's post, I do know parents (or boy themselves) who have chosen Sale over AGSB.
choceyes

Post by choceyes »

I know a friend who chose Sale over Alty boys for her very clever DS.

I myself would always go for co-ed over single sex, especially for boys.
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

I have a friend whose son passed both Alty boys and Sale, and chose Sale.

My daughter also passed Alty Girls and Sale and has gone to Sale, because she decided she didn’t want to go to an all girls school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now