Harder English practise papers- anyone know of any?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fi

Harder English practise papers- anyone know of any?

Post by fi »

DS has taken 2 of the NFER multi choice tests and didn't do too badly, then we gave him the practise paper sent by the grammar school (last years test) and it's so much harder - more complex inference and deduction and more difficult vocabulary. I wondered if anyone knew of anything else he could use to practise? I realise there is not so much out there for English but would be really grateful for ideas.
PS it's Lancaster Royal Grammar school test.
Thanks
Fi
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Unsure if this is helpful...but I Googled private/independent schools and visited their websites, then downloaded any practise papers I found. It is one way of getting a good 'spread' of examples.
I'm afraid I don't have them now though

You could particularly concentrate on those schools mentioned on this forum which seem to set particularly high standards...
fi

Post by fi »

Thank you I'll have a look for some tonight.
Snakeyfly

Harder English

Post by Snakeyfly »

Hi, my son didn't do many practice papers, but what he did do is read books! His vocabulary is considered better than most adults by his English teacher (he's just finished Year 7 at Grammar Schol and we've been told already he'll get A* at GCSE by his school).

So, rather than make your son take too many papers, let him loose at his local library or Waterstones!

Good luck
fi

Post by fi »

He does read loads which is why I'm surprised it isn't his best subject. He doesn't seem to be able to slow down and finishes the papers in 20 minutes. He has read all Harry Potter, Alex Ryder, Jacqueline Wilson , Eragon series, Anthony will read anything really. He says he'll be able to do it on the day and that he doesn't need to practise. My worry is that he can't stand to get anything wrong and so if he meets a text he doesn't get on with will be upset - that's why I wanted him to practise to get over that bit. I do think you're right though. Much more important to have a genuine love of reading than an interest in comprehension tests. Maybe I should just leave it alone- we do only have 4 weeks to the test though.
Thanks
Fi
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Rushing and notshowing what you can actually do is quite common, quite often teh children don;t actually read the question.

Try going through a comprehension paper and teh questions and using highlighters to pick out teh relevant bits of text. Look at how many marks are given for an answer,this will be guide to how much you are expected to write.

I have an excellent book on achieving level 5 in English, (if you PM me I can give you the details)

Under Reading Comprehension it gives teh following pointers

DEDUCE draw conclusions from your reading..draw out additional information

INFER go beyiond teh text to draw conlusions based on your life experiences....make predictions based on the book and your knowledge of how characters may respond.

EVALUATE ..decide how effective the writing is and comment on your response to it....comment on choice of vocabulary, arrangement of sentences

JUSTIFY use the text to back up what you are saying..quotte words and phrases from the text to support you answers.

It is not just what you know but how you use it to answer the question, this needs practice like any other skill.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi yoyo123
I have an excellent book on achieving level 5 in English, (if you PM me I can give you the details)
Why not share the text book detailswith everyone? :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would be considered advertising ...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Guest 55 is right. But if you PM me i can spill all!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The books are published by Rising Star and are Achieve Level 5 . Ther is a general book for English Maths and Science and also books of practice questions.

ISBN of teh English Practice questions 1-905056-09-5.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now