CSSE and CEM results correlation?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kon

CSSE and CEM results correlation?

Post by Kon »

Hi all I seem to remember seeing in the past someone collected data from CEM and CSSE results from the same students to show the correlation between them. They are not necessarily up to date but does anyone still have the data? Reason I am interested is although I know how CSSE scores are calculated but not CEM hence have no idea what the all important 108 score etc means. Thanks
Blitz

Re: CSSE and CEM results correlation?

Post by Blitz »

Hi Kon

I used to do the collated cut-offs for years, but then other posters have taken the role over in the last couple of years.

Here is the link to 2015, 16, 17 and 18 scores and waiting list movements:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ed#p709137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kon

Post by Kon »

Blitz wrote:Hi Kon

I used to do the collated cut-offs for years, but then other posters have taken the role over in the last couple of years.

Here is the link to 2015, 16, 17 and 18 scores and waiting list movements:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ed#p709137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Blitz, thanks for the link. I wonder if you have both the CSSE and CEM scores at the same time from the same students? I am hoping to see what CSSE scores a student achieved when they got 108 in CEM etc. I know it will be a very crude comparison as the two tests are very different but the two scores might most probably be somehow linearly related albeit with spreads. Thanks
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Both tests are incomparable. I have know girls to get:

CSSE 318 and CEM 114
CSSE 346 and CEM 98
CSSE 302 and CEM 126 (This girl lived in Thorpe Bay on the doorstep of SHSG but gained a place at CCHS as she did not qualify for SHSG)

but also

CSSE 385 and CEM 132
CSSE 354 and 112
CSSE 355 and 108

Which is more in line with what most people would expect. It is best not to second guess and over-think the very different exams styles.
Kon

Post by Kon »

Thanks for the info above, it does look very incomparable between the two exams. I have looked at it from another angle, one which is based on a guess but it is what I was trying to find out in the first place. We know the mean and 1 standard deviation scores of CSSE is 300 and 45, which means someones scoring 345 and 390 are top 16% and 3% respectively (looking up the distribution table), indeed any score can be matched to a percentile. Now imagine the mean and standard deviation scores of CEM is just 1/3 of CSSE, which are 100 and 15 respectively. If that is true, then we know 100 is mean, 115 is +1 standard deviation and 130 is +2. Looking up the distribution table for 108 (+0.55 sigma) shows that it is top 30% scorers (equivalent to a CSSE score of 324!). It’s purely to give an indication of the school entrance difficulty level and nothing else.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now