Greenshaw High selective places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stanton

Greenshaw High selective places

Post by Stanton »

Hi there - can anyone tell me what it actually means in reality for pupils who join Greenshaw High (Sutton) via one of the 60 selective places? Are they in classes together as a selective group, ie like Graveney? I'm struggling to find any info aside from the admissions process - it doesn't seem to say what happens once you get one of these 'special' places or indeed what the point of the selective process is! The overall results of the school appear to be national average so it's not clear what the draw to achieve a selective place might be. Thanks for any insights.
Oneoftwothings

Re: Greenshaw High selective places

Post by Oneoftwothings »

From when we were applying for schools for DS, the information seemed to be that the selective places are just a way of getting in if you wouldn’t via another way (eg catchment). Everything I saw indicated that they are set as normal once they start, whether they got in on a selective place or otherwise - no special treatment.
bridge

Post by bridge »

Oneoftwothings wrote:From when we were applying for schools for DS, the information seemed to be that the selective places are just a way of getting in if you wouldn’t via another way (eg catchment). Everything I saw indicated that they are set as normal once they start, whether they got in on a selective place or otherwise - no special treatment.
This is right answer from what I understand too.

The surrounding area/catchment does not provide enough students to fill all the schools places. Rather than take any pupil, the school 'select' some. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

The surrounding area certainly would have enough students to fill their places! But 60 are admitted based on their score in the SET, which allows some children from areas with no other options (parts of Wallington, which are too far away from any non-selective school to qualify purely on distance) to be placed in a school that they've chosen. The pressure on year 7 places next September will be worse than usual too, as the borough is around 300 places short for the expected number of in-borough applications...

Once admitted to the school, they are just the same as any other non-selective pupil, and are not treated any differently/taught seperately.
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

Thanks to you all for your replies.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now