Paper 11A Section 2 Question 3

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ontarget

Paper 11A Section 2 Question 3

Post by ontarget »

Can anyone explain the logic of why the answer to the following question is d rather than c, for example?

ToadMum

Re: Paper 11A Section 2 Question 3

Post by ToadMum »

They move downwards and to the right in rows? So d follows the line top left - centre - bottom right.

Middle left -> centre bottom
Centre top -> middle riight and would continue to a fourth square on the bottom row
Top right would -> fourth square on the middle row and a fifth on the bottom row
etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

Thanks, ToadMum.

I am not sure I am seeing it correctly. Do you mean that the position of the circle in the first row is bottom right, centre and bottom left etc?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ontarget wrote:Thanks, ToadMum.

I am not sure I am seeing it correctly. Do you mean that the position of the circle in the first row is bottom right, centre and bottom left etc?
I mean that if you put d in the blank square, it will form a winning row in Noughts and Crosses. And if you look at the adjacent squares as parallel diagonal lines running top left to bottom right in each case, they do the same? Nothing to do with the behaviour of individual components of the symbol across horizontal rows. If that isn't meant to be the pattern, then it's a very poorly designed question imho.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

Thanks, ToadMum.

I get it now. I see what you mean. I guess the only things that it is not possible to draw a conclusion about are the shapes in the top right and bottom left boxes as they do not form parts of visible diagonal lines.
proudmumwhatever

Post by proudmumwhatever »

Looking along each row I see black circle white circle black circle, then white black white so last row should be black white black.
Then the circle is down, up down on row one, up down up on row two and last row is down up so must be down on missing one.
Lastly (and yes I must get a life!) I see each row has the overal line tilting each of three ways per row so we need one tilting like the correct answer.

I love eleven plus questions! My children however, do not :)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

proudmumwhatever wrote:Looking along each row I see black circle white circle black circle, then white black white so last row should be black white black.
Then the circle is down, up down on row one, up down up on row two and last row is down up so must be down on missing one.
Lastly (and yes I must get a life!) I see each row has the overal line tilting each of three ways per row so we need one tilting like the correct answer.

I love eleven plus questions! My children however, do not :)
That's how I worked it out too.
proudmumwhatever

Post by proudmumwhatever »

ontarget wrote:Can anyone explain the logic of why the answer to the following question is d rather than c, for example?

Actually, now I look again I guess you could also just say all diagonal lines stay the same!

I guess they build in more symmetries just to make it a bit more bullet proof. Designing eleven plus questions would be quite a fun job!
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

Fantastic stuff, proudmumwhatever. Great explanation. Well done for cracking it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now