GCSE revision resources

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsworld

GCSE revision resources

Post by mumsworld »

Hi all,

My dd is in year 9 and I think it would be good for her to start her GCSE revisions a bit early. Would really appreciate some recommendations of websites/resources, so that she can start revising all the topics. Also looking for past question papers with sample answers so that she gets an idea regarding how to answer 6 marks questions. The exam board is AQA.

Thanks in advance,
mumsworld
ToadMum

Re: GCSE revision resources

Post by ToadMum »

mumsworld wrote:Hi all,

My dd is in year 9 and I think it would be good for her to start her GCSE revisions a bit early. Would really appreciate some recommendations of websites/resources, so that she can start revising all the topics. Also looking for past question papers with sample answers so that she gets an idea regarding how to answer 6 marks questions. The exam board is AQA.

Thanks in advance,
mumsworld
Have you looked at the AQA website? All the specifications will be on there, along with past papers, mark schemes and examiners' reports. However, it would perhaps be a courtesy to at least have a discussion with your DD's teachers as to how much would actually be useful at this stage. They can't stop her accessing the 'public' areas and documents on the website, of course. The most recent papers are not made publicly accessible until a year or so after the exam, to allow for teachers to use them for formal mocks.

Teachers will also usually recommend websites for their subject, commonly BBC Bitesize, MyMaths, Dr Frost Maths etc. A lot of schools offer the relevant CGP guides at a reduced cost at some point in the GCSE course.

Ate you sure that the school uses AQA for absolutely everything, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Revision?

Has she finished the course?

Don’t make her burn out.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Has she started the course?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

She could start by reading or listening to 19th century texts. If it’s too much she could dip in and out of them by reading just the opening chapter of various books. It’s a bit difficult to talk about revision when the course for each subject has not yet started / just started. She could also make sure that she has fully understood the content for Years 7 and 8. After all, a large part of Year 8 would have been spent in lockdown.

I’m a bit confused tbh. Are you looking for revision material for a particular subject or for all subjects? Some questions are worth 15 marks and others 40. You mention 6-mark questions, hence my question.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don’t think it’s revision stuff you are needing at this stage (given she hasn’t really started let alone finished the courses), but resources to help consolidate learning and help understanding any difficult topics.

Those mentioned by TM will be useful, but I’d stay away from practising past papers etc until much nearer the time tbh.

I’d be surprised of every subject uses AQA as well, so best to double check.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

BBC Bitesize would be helpful to revise the topic covered in school. Rushing through the course work is not advised by the teachers.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:BBC Bitesize would be helpful to revise the topic covered in school. Rushing through the course work is not advised by the teachers.
Absolutely :). Hence my However, it would perhaps be a courtesy to at least have a discussion with your DD's teachers as to how much would actually be useful at this stage, which, I hope, the OP will take on board, if they return to the thread to check for responses.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sleeplessmum

Post by sleeplessmum »

Just be careful looking at exam papers in year 9 is very early since she may of just started the course for the sciences but jot for other subjects.

Trying to understand the subject is more important than doing papers and techniques at such an early stage.

Plus maybe wait for parents evening before deciding how to approach this and work with the teachers. If she whizzes to far ahead she may not enjoy the class since she has covered it at home or get her self even more confused or burn out and unwanted stress.

I think it is lovely that you want to support her but it might be wise to speak to the teacher as to how to approach a topic to cement her knowledge at this stage rather than do exam papers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now