Royal Latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tech607

Royal Latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Post by tech607 »

Dear All,

DS is sitting for 11 + this year. .

We live in West Milton Keynes and need guidance on which of these schools would be a better option.
We are caught between Royal Latin and Sir Henry Floyd. Any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference would be appreciated..

Thank you
scary mum

Re: Royal Latin or Sir Henry Floyd

Post by scary mum »

I'm not familiar with the distances involved but have you checked the previous allocations to make sure you are likely to get a place?
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

look on the websites, take a virtual tour if possible, try local facebook groups to ask what parents think of the schools locally (though beware bias).
look on the Bucks tables for admission (published by Bucks CC and links on this forum) showing how far the places were given: being in cachement means nothing if you live 5 miles from the school and the last allocated places were 0.8 miles or less for the last ten years... remember Bucks is not score based so tutoring your DC up for the highest possible score will not count for anything, it’s ALL about where you live (assuming child passes).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

tech607 wrote:Dear All,

DS is sitting for 11 + this year. .

We live in West Milton Keynes and need guidance on which of these schools would be a better option.
We are caught between Royal Latin and Sir Henry Floyd. Any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the order of preference would be appreciated..
Thank you
I know both schools well - the Floyd is far more inclusive and not content to sit on its laurels. It supported students far better in lockdown as everyone has a chromebook -

What are your child's strengths?
tech607

Post by tech607 »

Thank you, everyone.
@My DS is more independent and he is interested in Science and Maths but he needs some pushing. He is a good football player.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

tech607 wrote:Thank you, everyone.
@My DS is more independent and he is interested in Science and Maths but he needs some pushing. He is a good football player.
Floyd is stronger at football - RLS is more into rugby.

I think the Floyd is more supportive and would be better for him [assuming that both are equally easy to get to].

Both schools good at Maths and science. Don't be 'suckered' by the RLS science building - it doesn't mean teaching is better!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now