11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum_sa

Punctuation - Caplital letter

Post by mum_sa »

Hi All,

I have a punctuation question, let say I have a paragraph

I visited Museum of London on sunday, it was fun........................................
............................ The Museum have .........................

So the word museum in last line needs to be capital as it's referring t some specific noun?

similary

John was kind king. He ruled ...............................
.......................... The King used to help people...........................

King should be capital in last line because referring to some specific king?

Thanks
loobylou

Re: Punctuation - Caplital letter

Post by loobylou »

I am no expert and hopefully an English teacher will come along and advise you but I would say no to both your examples.
The Museum of London and King John are both capitalised as they are names but subsequent mentions of "the museum was very interesting because...." or "the king told his servants to...." would be treated as a common not a proper noun.
I think they would only be capitalised again if they were being mentioned by name again.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I would have capitalised Sunday in the first example, and also wonder if Museum or King somehow still looks correct when a particular museum or king has already been defined.

However the official website of the Museum of London thinks differently ! https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/about ... ganisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - several occasions where "museum" or "museums" is used when not part of the full title
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I can't help thinking that it would be more likely that one would be penalised for not using a capital S for Sunday, than one would be for using a capital M for Museum. Or at least, just as likely. Days of the week having a capital letter is sort of Year 1 stuff, isn't it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now