Weald Sevenoaks - girls in Orpington, Petts Wood etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jonnyzap

Re: Weald Sevenoaks - girls in Orpington, Petts Wood etc

Post by Jonnyzap »

Ot seems such a shame that these children travel so far when there are some outstanding comprehensive schools in East Sussex. I have one child in a TW grammar and one in the comp at Wadhurst. The one at Wadhurst gets up an hour later, gets home an hour earlier and is doing jest as well academically. I wish I had thought more carefully before send child 1 such a long way
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Is it correct that currently, girls going to the Weald Sevenoak site have to walk from Sevenoaks station as there are no buses? This must significantly increase the journey time...?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I know the private bus is still running and that is all ok. For those getting the train I have heard of some going to Bat & Ball (e.g. changing at St Mary Cray or Bickley if they are usually on the Petts Wood or Orpington line) and then the walk is more manageable from there and not at the mercies of buses that might be full at Sevenoaks station.
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

Fmmg wrote:Is it correct that currently, girls going to the Weald Sevenoak site have to walk from Sevenoaks station as there are no buses? This must significantly increase the journey time...?
No that is not correct. There are buses from the station to the Sevenoaks Weald site. Buses are not picking up anyone within 2 miles of the school site so the station is effectively the last stop but yes girls can get a bus from the station.
CTR1

Post by CTR1 »

Is this service from Petts Wood to Tonbridge still on? Our DD just moved to Weald Tonbridge and we are looking for ways to make the commute easier for her. Thanks.
Mrs Malaprop wrote:Best of luck to everyone for Friday. I was in your shoes last year and remember the agony!

We live in Orpington and were fortunate enough to get our first choice of Weald from the waiting list (eventually - just before May half term). The offers finally went out into Petts Wood and Leesons Hill way and the parents have come together to organise a minibus service to get the girls to and from school each day (and to Tonbridge on the Tonbridge days). The company have said that they'd be happy to expand to take on next year's yr 7 girls as well - if anyone wants more info, feel free to ask or PM me.
Mrs Malaprop

Post by Mrs Malaprop »

CTR1 wrote:Is this service from Petts Wood to Tonbridge still on? Our DD just moved to Weald Tonbridge and we are looking for ways to make the commute easier for her. Thanks.
Hi - the service is still running, but I'm not sure it will be much help for you. There are now two privately-organised minibuses going to the Sevenoaks site only. The reference to Tonbridge relates to the time a few years ago when the Sevenoaks girls had to spend one day a week in the Tonbridge site - now a thing of the past.

The two minibuses are full to capacity, I believe. I don't know whether the company will have scope to lay on a further bus for next year, or whether there would be a demand for it.
Missfof9

Post by Missfof9 »

Hello,

What is the situation nowadays for girls living in Orpington..
We have been offered WOK for Sept 2024.
Is there still a private bus? If so can you share the details please.

Thank you