Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stowic

Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Post by Stowic »

Hello, my daughter has just sat the Latimer exam. Can you explain what happens next? I know we find out in November if they are in the top 650 and what their ranking is. If she is in the top 650 but not in the top 192 + 50 waiting list places, what happens then? Would you find out before the 1 March when they issue the national allocations whether they have got a place or not?

We're only applying to Latimer & two local state schools - no other selective or Ind schools - so just wondering how it will affect the application. We are inner catchment zone. If you don't make the top 650, you would just withdraw which LA has said is ok. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Re: Question about Latimer admission process & CAF

Post by scary mum »

I'm not an expert on Latymer, but a state schools are allocated on March 1st so you should not hear before then. Are you sure of a place in one of the other two schools? If your child doesn't qualify for Latymer the second choice becomes your first. If they don't qualify for any if them the school will allocate a school where there are places, which could be an undesirable one, or a difficult journey away.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Asscary mum says, if you don't use all the available slots on your CAF (assuming that your LA gives you tha opportunity to express more than the legal minimum of three preferences), then if your DD isn't ranked highly enough by the schools you applied for, according to their admissions policies, then your LA will allocate a place at the nearest undersubscribed school. The same will happen if you have used all your available slots, but none of your preferences can be met.

There is no need to withdraw your application to Latymer if your DD isn't in the top 650 - unless, of course, you want to replace Latymer with another school where she has a better chance of a place. But, if your LA is only allowing a withdrawal, not a substitution, please don't substitute a school after the 31st, as this will make your application late and that almost certainly will affect your chance of a place at either of the non-selective schools.

(And PS - Latymer, like all other grammar schools, is also a state school :). That's how you get to put it on your CAF).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As you are in the catchment I strongly advise that you apply and put it first if it is your chosen school.

Last year I know of a student who was ranked 570th and offered a place in April so you should certainly apply.

A few years ago they had to ring those in catchment who had done the exam and not applied and ask them to apply as they ran out of candidates.

This happened because many non catchment applicants got the higher ranked slots and then did not apply. DG
Stowic

Post by Stowic »

Thanks, that's encouraging DG.

We're safely in catchment for both the local schools but may add a 4th choice to be safe. So on 1 March, Latymer will confirm places, and then if they are not awarded one, the LA will put your second choice as first?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Stowic wrote:Thanks, that's encouraging DG.

We're safely in catchment for both the local schools but may add a 4th choice to be safe. So on 1 March, Latymer will confirm places, and then if they are not awarded one, the LA will put your second choice as first?
Yes if Latymer is not awarded on March 1st then the second place school will be considered as your first. Also please fill in all the slots that you have - every year people put only one or two schools down assuming that if they have only put those then they will have to be given one of them, where in fact if they are not eligible then they will be given a place at a school that has vacancies and may be some distance away etc - best to add as many as you can and have some control over it all
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

Stowic wrote:Hello, my daughter has just sat the Latimer exam. Can you explain what happens next? I know we find out in November if they are in the top 650 and what their ranking is. If she is in the top 650 but not in the top 192 + 50 waiting list places, what happens then? Would you find out before the 1 March when they issue the national allocations whether they have got a place or not?

We're only applying to Latimer & two local state schools - no other selective or Ind schools - so just wondering how it will affect the application. We are inner catchment zone. If you don't make the top 650, you would just withdraw which LA has said is ok. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
If child is in top 650. but not in top 192 and out of catchment .. Is it worth putting latymer on CAF form?
Another question , we are looking to move near the area[ around A1 like Waltham cross, ponders end], how good is the transport to latymer from there? Aware of what google map suggest but want to know if there is any school coaches available/term time buses on route. Thank you
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you are prepared to move to the catchment area it is definitely worth putting it first.

I know a student ranked 570th who got a place this year and it could well have gone some way lower than that as this was earlier on this year. DG
Stowic

Post by Stowic »

You won't find out your child's ranking until after the CAF application date so you just have to put Latymer first and hope for the best. Our LA have said as the exams are late this year, you can then withdraw selective schools before 1 March if you don't think you will get in, I guess if you're outside the 650.
Feniya

Post by Feniya »

[quote="Daogroupie"]If you are prepared to move to the catchment area it is definitely worth putting it first.

I know a student ranked 570th who got a place this year and it could well have gone some way lower than that as this was earlier on this year. DG[/ Thank you DG for your advice
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now