Reading test delayed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ConfusedFather

Reading test delayed

Post by ConfusedFather »

Reading has delayed its 11+ exam (planned this week) to a yet undetermined date.
Daogroupie

Re: Reading test delayed

Post by Daogroupie »

How many applicants do they usually get?

Perhaps they are planning to use the ISEB pre-test so that some applicants can sit the test at their school and do not need to go to the school to sit their exam. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Daogroupie wrote:How many applicants do they usually get?

Perhaps they are planning to use the ISEB pre-test so that some applicants can sit the test at their school and do not need to go to the school to sit their exam. DG
Reading use CEM and are part of the same group as kendrick and Slough (plus others) so I doubt they would be changing.
https://www.reading-school.co.uk/page/? ... ions&pid=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect you may have confused it with Reading Bluecoats.

In answer to your question is ots usually about 1000 but some are at other schools and scores shared.
vjm

Post by vjm »

Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Most of the North London consortium have abandoned CEM for ISEB so they can have students sitting elsewhere.

For a school to abandon a date so close to it and not offer an alternative does seem to indicate that the school may be planning to go online.

North London has just squeezed through a set of exams involving thousands of candidates: Mill Hill County, Latymer, QE St Ms and SW Herts are all now completely done thank goodness apart from a handful of candidates who missed out and will be hoovered up on a back up day.

HBS and DAO have done their first round and are due to offer their second rounds first week in November.

If that becomes impossible they will have the option to simply allocate places using only the data from the first round. Although they will have to apply for permission to do this as it will invalidate their admissions criteria.

It will be a shame for all those who have worked hard preparing for the English and Maths papers but at least they have some data to allocate with.

Reading has not even offered a date when they will announce something.

Let's hope they can sort something quickly. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I seriously can’t see Reading using anything else but CEM, they are part of the group of schools including the Slough schools and a reasonable number will have opted to share their scores. That would became impossible if Reading didn’t use CEM. Anyone planning to sit in Reading but share their score, with say Slough, would be seriously messed up.

I don’t have any local info at the moment, so don’t know why Reading have done this, but I doubt they took the decision lightly.
uczncse

Post by uczncse »

They should have done this in Sep when things were relatively normal. I know it's easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight, but pretty much everyone knew the infection rates would rise in autumn. It's a mess now.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

that’s really strange... the Slough CEM went ahead last week....
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Aethel wrote:that’s really strange... the Slough CEM went ahead last week....
As far as I know Kendrick is still happening this week too.
semb

Post by semb »

uczncse wrote:They should have done this in Sep when things were relatively normal. I know it's easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight, but pretty much everyone knew the infection rates would rise in autumn. It's a mess now.
I completely agree. Delaying it made no sense to me at the time given that numbers were relatively low then and were predicted to rise once schools went back.

DS was pretty upset yesterday on hearing it was delayed again. He just wants it over now.

And it is such a mess with Slough having taken the paper last week, and Kendrick going ahead this week.