Tiffin Girl's Or Nonsuch Grils (Preference order in CAF)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mom2021entry

Tiffin Girl's Or Nonsuch Grils (Preference order in CAF)

Post by Mom2021entry »

Hello
Can someone guide with the Pro and Cons of Tiffin Girl's , Nonsuch Grils and Henrietta Barnett School.

And also what should be the order of preference keeping in mind we are ready to relocate to near the school, based on the selection.

Daughter is very hardworking and more academic oriented. With love for Sports.

Thanks
2Socks

Re: Tiffin Girl's Or Nonsuch Grils (Preference order in CAF)

Post by 2Socks »

I'm not from the area and don't know the schools, but given the timing, it's probably worth checking the admissions policies for the schools. It's just that a lot of schools (not all) require you to be living in the area on the CAF deadline.

Sorry, as you mentioned that you are ready to relocate I assume you already have checked, but thought it would be worth mentioning in case anyone else reads this in future.
Last edited by 2Socks on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would seriously look at the one you live nearest to now, the whole trying to relocate could get very tough over the next 9-10 months and if you opt for a distant school and haven't moved you could have v long journeys
Mom2021entry

Post by Mom2021entry »

Thanks for the your inputs.

i would be really interested to know the Pros and Cons for these 3 school.

Which would help us decide better
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

hermanmunster wrote:I would seriously look at the one you live nearest to now, the whole trying to relocate could get very tough over the next 9-10 months and if you opt for a distant school and haven't moved you could have v long journeys
I would second this. Relocation is not necessarily straightforward at the best of times, and this is not currently the ‘best of times’.

All three are going to be academic schools. Look at what additional things are important to your DD, such as the sport you mentioned. What grounds do they have, what sports do they do, what after school sports do they offer etc.
rocky

Post by rocky »

Mom2021entry wrote:Hello
Can someone guide with the Pro and Cons of Tiffin Girl's , Nonsuch Grils and Henrietta Barnett School.

And also what should be the order of preference keeping in mind we are ready to relocate to near the school, based on the selection.

Daughter is very hardworking and more academic oriented. With love for Sports.

Thanks
It's surprising how many of these types of queries are posted along with some good replies. Do not underestimate what is involved in moving to a new area. Lot's of people thing it's an easy thing to do but later regret it.

Do you have any other children? If so, you also need to consider the impact of moving them. Do you have friends in any of the areas?

Have you considered Wallington Girls? This also strong academically but is quite sporty as well. Nonsuch is less sporty but stronger in music. I am less familiar with Tiffins but has an excellent all-round reputation. All the schools you mention are great but a lot can change from year to year which can impact (positively and negatively) the experience your daughter has.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In answer to one of your questions, the order of preference should be your and your DD's true order of preference. Assuming that any of those three schools can offer her a place, the one that your LA will allocate is the school which you put highest out of the three on your CAF.

It really seems very late in the day to be only just giving any kind of serious thought to the subject, especially given the many miles in distance between the three schools, but you will certainly not be unique in this.

Are you / your partner going to be permanently working from home? If not, which location would give you the easiest commute to work, if your DD has no strong feelings about which school she attends?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mom2021entry

Post by Mom2021entry »

Hello All,

Thanks all for your feedback.

We have already done some research about the areas around these school, which would help commute all three of us(DD, husband and me).

I was mainly interested to know feedback as to if there are any specific PRO and CONS for these schools which we should be aware of.
We could not visit any of the schools and watched all virtual tours, which were not very helpful

Thanks
bridge

Post by bridge »

Daughters in Y9 at TGS.

Pros - headteacher very pro-active - good comms - remote learning was quite good - good number of sports clubs - reasonable amount of HW

Cons - high teacher turnover - not all teachers engaged fully - sports clubs heavily orientated towards the top PE set - lunch not very well organised and not much choice

It's a grammar school but the only difference compared to a non-selective state school is the cohort. I would be wary of picking a school for a specific reason as that can change very quickly. We targeted TGS & Nonsuch as they are our local selective schools - plus too many other children in primary/nursery for moving to be on the cards.

Good Luck
Mom2021entry

Post by Mom2021entry »

Thanks Bridge for you inputs really helpful.