WGHS Travel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SH031

WGHS Travel

Post by SH031 »

Hi my daughter got 318 in the Walsall test , I am not sure if I should put down WGHS as well as Queen Mary for a off chance of a waiting list spot. WGHS would be an hour travel. A train from new street then a walk then a bus in Wolverhampton. Just wondered if anybody was aware of any girls travelling from Hodge hill / castle Bromwich to WGHS or it's a bridge too far. Non PP.
Polgara_Glos

Re: WGHS Travel

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Originally from the area disclaimer.... We are considering a school where is a more local choice, but the school DC wants is a perfect fit, so I understand the dilemma.

Have you done the journey at the peak time to check it out?

Home ->New Street (with a wait for train)
New Street -> Wolverhampton train station
Wolverhampton bus station -> bus
Bus -> school

And reverse. Would you be able to pick up easily as you are a good 45 mins by car from school?

Similar for QMHS.

We've just done this for the school DC wants to make sure we are all happy.
Redshoes

Post by Redshoes »

SH031 wrote:Hi my daughter got 318 in the Walsall test , I am not sure if I should put down WGHS as well as Queen Mary for a off chance of a waiting list spot. WGHS would be an hour travel. A train from new street then a walk then a bus in Wolverhampton. Just wondered if anybody was aware of any girls travelling from Hodge hill / castle Bromwich to WGHS or it's a bridge too far. Non PP.
Hi - for what it’s worth my opinion is that it’s quite a trek for 5 possibly 7 years so I would say yes a bridge too far - don’t underestimate the impact a long commute can have but only you can decide if you think it’s worth it. Good luck.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

SH031 wrote:Hi my daughter got 318 in the Walsall test , I am not sure if I should put down WGHS as well as Queen Mary for a off chance of a waiting list spot. WGHS would be an hour travel. A train from new street then a walk then a bus in Wolverhampton. Just wondered if anybody was aware of any girls travelling from Hodge hill / castle Bromwich to WGHS or it's a bridge too far. Non PP.
I would think getting to QMHS would be easier than getting to WGHS.I am aware from reading comments on this forum of girls travelling to QMHS from areas in the centre of Birmingham.The train station in Walsall is within a short walk of the school.Any journey to WGHS by train would be more problematic and certainly a lot longer.

However do bare in mind your trips to the school for parents evenings, school events etc

Any trip to QMHS from the centre of Birmingham by public bus is also a lot easier on the faster X51

Everything is dependent on what you regard as sensible for your child.We travel to WGHS from Walsall. Initially for 4 years by school bus which my daughter misses. In particular the cameradri and a time for relaxation. The journey could take up to an hour and 30 minutes. For much of year 11 and now year 12 she goes by car and the trip is about 30 minutes for her.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
SH031

Post by SH031 »

Thank you both for your comments. Walsall travel wise would be easier for us as a neighbour drives there. 318 would prob not get in. WGHS would be about an hour or one hour 10, just mulling up in that is to long to travel by public transport. Occasional drop offs and pick ups by car would not be an issue but it's if the travel would be too much for a 10 year old. We don't know anyone who goes there either.
2016hoping

Post by 2016hoping »

318 is a great score - well done to your DD!

Ref travel, Polgara's comments are valid, it looks like around a 90 minute travel on public transport to WGHS assuming everything is running to time where as you can save 30 minutes on that for the Walsall route. The trial run suggestion is good, but also remember that with the Covid situation the roads are still much quieter than usual (benefitting either the public transport route or the "take by car" up the M6 option). Hopefully Covid won't stick around as long as your DD will be going to school, so the travel times may increase a bit as they get into the later years.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

SH031 wrote: 318 would prob not get in.
It’s always difficult to know what the cut off will be.I wouldn’t necessarily assume that.There are a greater number of places this year.

I can see logistically it would be very difficult.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Anybody looking to travel to WGHS from oldbury?
SAzim

Post by SAzim »

Hi

Does your daughter travel to Wghs. My daughter will be travelling to Wghs from Birmingham and we will be dropping/collecting somedays. She did get into QMHS but preferred WGHS. Just wondering if I can make a travel buddy and how everyone is doing it.
GinaKC

Post by GinaKC »

Hello,

My daughter has just started at WGHS. She is really enjoying it there. We are in Great Barr, so wondered if anyone else travels locally from us? It would be great to have a travel buddy at SAzim suggested.

Thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now