Which school did you leave off?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glos18

Which school did you leave off?

Post by Glos18 »

Now that the CAFs have all been submitted, I'm intrigued to know which school(s) people shared with but didn't end up putting on the form due to lack of space. It will be interesting to see on allocation day whether the delayed test has had impact on each school's preferences.

I'll go first: Crypt - fab school but DD didn't fancy high boy to girl ratio.
Mumto3Girls

Re: Which school did you leave off?

Post by Mumto3Girls »

We only put down two grammars (Pate's and Ribston) as we're not a "grammar or bust" family, it's about where's right for them. Local comps made up their 3rd and 4th choices over the other grammars as they (and we) like them more and they feel like a better fit for the girls and my school was 5th, "just in case"!! Am 100% confident they will both be happy at any of their choices and will succeed wherever they go as doing well has far more to do with being happy, attitude, work ethic and support at home than the school in my (24 years of teaching) experience!
Future2020

Post by Future2020 »

I have a son so went for Pates, Tommies and Crypt.
Didn’t look at the Stroud Grammars, based upon distance.
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

We've gone for the 3 Gloucester grammars and 2 comprehensives. We're also not Grammar or bust, but DD very much has her heart set on DRHS, quite possibly due to the lack of commute! We've basically gone for the 5 schools that will give us the shortest commute, pretty much in that order, although that's not the only reason! I have bad memories of the commute to and from my secondary, and the hassle that my parents went through. I don't want DD to miss clubs, activities and social events because we are unable to get her there/back, and she really likes the idea of having lie-ins and her homework done before other kids are even home.
Quite agree that whichever school they end up at they will all do well. Just by paying attention to their education we're giving them a bit of a head start. I also firmly believe that just by doing the test they've got a leg up with exam technique etc. Hopefully DD won't make so many daft mistakes in her GCSE's as it appears she has done in the 11+ :lol:
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

We've gone for the 3 Gloucester grammars and 2 comprehensives. We're also not Grammar or bust, but DD very much has her heart set on DRHS, quite possibly due to the lack of commute! We've basically gone for the 5 schools that will give us the shortest commute, pretty much in that order, although that's not the only reason! I have bad memories of the commute to and from my secondary, and the hassle that my parents went through. I don't want DD to miss clubs, activities and social events because we are unable to get her there/back, and she really likes the idea of having lie-ins and her homework done before other kids are even home.
Quite agree that whichever school they end up at they will all do well. Just by paying attention to their education we're giving them a bit of a head start. I also firmly believe that just by doing the test they've got a leg up with exam technique etc. Hopefully DD won't make so many daft mistakes in her GCSE's as it appears she has done in the 11+ :lol:
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I think my DD would quite like to join your DD at DRHS 2socks. She is an expert at daft mistakes. We shall just have to hope that all the other DD's are as daft as ours!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

We left off Pates as for us, it was a wasted space without knowing if DC would make the 150. I wonder how many thought like us and whether Pates will go lower down the rankings. I was also very unimpressed with their virtual presentation which didn't help!
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Polgara_Glos wrote:We left off Pates as for us, it was a wasted space without knowing if DC would make the 150. I wonder how many thought like us and whether Pates will go lower down the rankings. I was also very unimpressed with their virtual presentation which didn't help!
DD1 is at Pate's so we didn't bother watching as we know what it's like! Put Pate's 1st as it is genuinely DD2 and 3's top choice (biased by their big sister of course!) and both perfectly happy with 2nd choice if they don't get into Pate's. Nothing to lose and we had space to do so as only 4 schools in the picture!

(NB when DD1 did the 11+ I had no idea that she would rank in the top 150 for Pate's - didn't think her Maths was strong enough - so learned from her experience that you never know!)
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

It will be interesting to see whether the preferences are different this year as it may have put off those who move for school from adding to the CAF as they won't know if they have a space or not.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

We also left Pates off the CAF, thinking it would be very difficult to get into the top 150. DD2 (who has just taken the test) attended an open evening with DD1 a few years ok, and did quite like it. We requested to attend the virtual open evening which took place a few weeks ago but never received a link. This may have inspired us to put in CAF but I guess it’s too late now.