Sutton /Surrey SET Score for qualifying for next stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Krishna186

Sutton /Surrey SET Score for qualifying for next stage

Post by Krishna186 »

Does anyone have a view on how the raw scores in Maths and English in SET stage 1 map to qualification for stage 2 ? My DS felt he did well in English but seemed to have lost a bit with Maths and hence could not answer attempt all the questions. Also how does raw scores be converted to standardized scores for stage 1 . Wanted to get a view on how much should DS score to have a hope to make it into stage 2 although do understand this depends on the cohort .
Oneoftwothings

Re: Sutton /Surrey SET Score for qualifying for next stage

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Standardisation basically works with the average raw score and places that as 100 for each test. A score will then be set that allows the top third of boys to go through to the second round. There’s no knowing what raw score will allow this as - as you say - it will depend on how everyone else did. I have just written this in another post, which might be helpful.

Last year around 1070 girls were invited to the second round, from 2630 who sat the SET. Standardised pass mark was 209. This year, just over 2700 girls registered for the SET.

For boys, over 3000 took the test in 2019. Around 1000 were invited to second round for both schools - fewer for Wilson’s than SGS. Pass mark to be eligible to put Wallington Boys on the application form was 218.5. I think this was marginally higher for second round for the other two schools, as I believe a few were able to put Wally boys down but not invited to second round, but that info is anecdotal rather than from data.

Note, you are only told your SET mark if you don’t pass for Greenshaw, which was 199.5 last year, so you are very much left guessing how well they did! Girls will find out their overall score from both exams after the second round; boys never find out.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Of course, age and deprivation standardisation is also taken into account.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Deprivation standardisation? What is that?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Deprivation standardisation? What is that?
https://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All I can find is mention of a consultation but I’m unable to open any of the documents.

Something here
The School’s Admission Standard and the ranking order for places will be determined as follows.
The results from the Selective Eligibility Test will be carried forward and combined with the results from the second stage tests. Four standardised scores will be calculated using: (1) the multiple choice items from the English paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (2) the multiple choice items from the mathematics paper on the Selective Eligibility Test; (3) the English paper in the second stage test and (4) the mathematics paper in the second stage test. The four standardised scores will be weighted in the ratio 2:2:3:3, adjusted for age and deprivation (using the IDACI score for a boy’s home address), and the total rounded to the nearest four marks to give the final score.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

That's interesting, I hadn't noticed that change, thanks both.

Policy for admission in 2020:
The four standardised scores will be weighted in the ratio 2:2:3:3, adjusted for age and
deprivation (using the IDACI score for a boy’s home address), and the total rounded to the nearest four marks
to give the final score.
Krishna186

Post by Krishna186 »

Thank you Oneoftwothings and others for your reply. Is there historical information available for SET stage 1 which maps the raw score ( the actual number of correct answers in Math in English DS has scored ) to standardized score for say 2019 , 2018 etc . Similar to the one CSSE do.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Krishna186 wrote:Thank you Oneoftwothings and others for your reply. Is there historical information available for SET stage 1 which maps the raw score ( the actual number of correct answers in Math in English DS has scored ) to standardized score for say 2019 , 2018 etc . Similar to the one CSSE do.
Boys who make it through both SET and second stage tests, and are therefore qualified for Wilsons and SGS, are never told their results, either in raw or standardised form. So I don't think you'll find any reliable data on this.
Tstar11

Post by Tstar11 »

What are the total amount of marks for the SET. You mentioned that 209 was the pass mark.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Hmm, I searched a website I have seen used before for you and found this (denied) request from a rather unpleasant person last month:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1072910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can confirm that two sets of standardised scores were published last year, which enabled me to pinpoint my son’s SET score down to one of two. The data was removed (nothing to do with me!) as they thought better of it being released.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now