Academically less competitive but good independent schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lukeonslow

Academically less competitive but good independent schools

Post by lukeonslow »

We have twins are could be in a situation of having one go to Latymer and one to another school. Which schools would you recommend? Specifically which independent school which would be in the Latymer catchment area. As you can imagine may need to relocate.

Thanks in advance.
SnowballMum

Re: Academically less competitive but good independent schoo

Post by SnowballMum »

Hi,
Do you have twin boys, girls or mixed?
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

Are they currently in year 6? If so, independent school 11+ application deadlines are passing quickly.

Also the Latymer catchment area is large.

Would be good to know a little more about the child you are looking for a school for and especially their gender. But Forest is mixed and still accepting applications so you could start there.

Also there are a number of other good state schools in the Latymer catchment too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If they sat the exam this year and you are not currently living in the priority area for Latymer, then you really do need to get your skates on re moving, as the cut-off date is in about 8 weeks, I think?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

8th January. 6.5 weeks. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:8th January. 6.5 weeks. DG
Good job estate agents are still open, then...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lukeonslow

Post by lukeonslow »

Yes 8 weeks left and in limbo. One of them actually passed the first stage at Latymer and waiting to be marked for the essay. So not sure if she can even make it as there is a risk (around 300th) and in the meantime waiting results for other Grammar Schools. Specifically ones in Slough as they consider Harrow (current house) in the catchment area. I heard of Palmers Green High School near Latymer. Will try South Hampstead High School. But wondering what other options I should consider. Of course including State Schools...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

lukeonslow wrote:Yes 8 weeks left and in limbo. One of them actually passed the first stage at Latymer and waiting to be marked for the essay. So not sure if she can even make it as there is a risk (around 300th) and in the meantime waiting results for other Grammar Schools. Specifically ones in Slough as they consider Harrow (current house) in the catchment area. I heard of Palmers Green High School near Latymer. Will try South Hampstead High School. But wondering what other options I should consider. Of course including State Schools...
Have you not already had to apply for state schools, including grammar schools, using your current address? Even if your current LA allows changes to the CAF on the back of grammar school results (and very few are doing that), not having applied at all by the 31st October deadline would make any application 'late'.
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

Firstly, if 1 twin got in the top 500 then my understanding is that they should have a very good chance of getting a place.

Secondly, lots of bright children don't manage to get into the top 500 or so at Latymer, but then go on to get places at academically selective Independents (or do very well at state schools) so don't be too despondent for the other twin.

Here a number of schools which take girls. There really is quite a range and they are very different. Note many of them closed for applications yesterday.

Have been closed to applications for a few days:
Channing
CLSG
Highgate

Deadline yesterday:
Francis Holland Regents Park
Godolphin and Latymer https://www.godolphinandlatymer.com/adm ... /11-entry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Hampstead High School
Queens College London https://www.qcl.org.uk/admissions/admissions-11-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waltham Forest/Essex direction and could be open for applications:
Forest
Bancrofts - is still open for applications
Chigwell

Also look at:
St Margarets Hampstead https://www.st-margarets.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More House

State schools that people often move close to to get a place include:
Fortismere
Alexandra Park School
However I'm not sure whether CAF can be updated now and that would need to be checked.

Hope this helps. It's an attempt to answer your question.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Do state schools allow applications after the 31st October deadline if the family relocates into the area? If so then could this be a way to get into a good state school, not in the first round of allocations but subsequest rounds. If it is possible and OP was to try this approach then, I guess, they would have to be very certain that there is usually movement in the waiting list, under the appropriate criteria, for the targeted state school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now