Wallington County Grammar School – has not met the selective

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hab

Wallington County Grammar School – has not met the selective

Post by Hab »

My son has invited for second stage for Wilson and Sutton grammer but couldnt achieve for Wallington. I am very disappoitned as there are very less chances for Wilson's and SGS now

Is there any hope now
sonnyash

Re: Wallington County Grammar School – has not met the selec

Post by sonnyash »

Don't give up hope, we are in the same situation. Sutton's bar must be set lower than Wallington. My DS is an October baby and we are out of catchment, I don't know if this makes an impact on the result we just received. Lack of confidence in securing Wallington does make your heart sink, but now all efforts will have to be put into the Sutton/Wilson 2nd stage on the 28th.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I have just posted some thoughts on this on the other thread. I suspect it could be a case of SGS and Wilson’s lowering the boundary, perhaps because of COVID to give lots on similar scores more of a chance to show what they can do in the second round. Wallington does usually use their applicant list to very near their boundary, therefore it wouldn’t make sense to raise their boundary. I’m speculating though, obviously.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

is that possible wallington set criteria for each subject?
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

sonnyash wrote:Don't give up hope, we are in the same situation. Sutton's bar must be set lower than Wallington. My DS is an October baby and we are out of catchment, I don't know if this makes an impact on the result we just received. Lack of confidence in securing Wallington does make your heart sink, but now all efforts will have to be put into the Sutton/Wilson 2nd stage on the 28th.
There would have been a slight age standardisation adjustment, but catchment doesn’t come into play in the scores.
bridge

Post by bridge »

The SET pass mark has always been higher for Wallington than SGS or Wilson. There's probably older threads discussing this.
Hab

Post by Hab »

what is the weightage formula for Wilsons and SGS for final score? Means how much weightage they give it to first stage. I cant see such thing in thier websites
LdS

Post by LdS »

I think this link may help on the weighting

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Hab wrote:what is the weightage formula for Wilsons and SGS for final score? Means how much weightage they give it to first stage. I cant see such thing in thier websites
From memory, Wilson’s do 1:2:2 and SGS do 2:2:3:3. So 80% still to come for Wilson’s and 60% for SGS.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

Hab wrote:My son has invited for second stage for Wilson and Sutton grammer but couldnt achieve for Wallington. I am very disappoitned as there are very less chances for Wilson's and SGS now

Is there any hope now

Hi Hab,
congratulations for getting the invitation for the second stage. Please do not feel disappointed as he has still got a very good chance for both the schools. Wilson's only consider 10% of the the first stage and SGS 20%. They both are very much reliant on the second stage marking. So all the best for the next stage .Keep working hard for the coming 7/8 days and give your best shot. I am very much aware of few boys who had the same last couple of years but have got places in either Wilson's or Sutton as they did remarkably well in their second stage exam.
All the best!