A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: A levels 2021

Post by ToadMum »

If your DD doesn't know what she wants to study, how could she say what she wants to do and at which particular college at Oxford / Cambridge? (Am I right in thinking that we are talking here about the school which appears to completely ignore the existence and function of the pooling system at those two universities and only allows one applicant per course per college?).

Has she actually 'visited' universities on their virtual open days this term, or just looked at the websites? DS2 has 'been to' Leicester, Warwick, Birmingham and York and was registered for Bristol and LJMU (he is looking at History of Art and it looked like a good backup) but I'm not sure how much of theirs he actually accessed. Sussex next week (his department's day is Thursday but there are but various others are Tuesday / Wednesday). I looked at the York one with him and we both thought it was well done.

History of Art at Warwick had some initial 'technical issues', but got going eventually :). He had already been to Leeds and UEA (his current personal gold standard for course content, university and city) in real life.

With those subjects / interests, the Flexible Combined Honours programme at Exeter might be worth looking at, or one of the Languages, Cultures courses at Leeds.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Again, so sad to read this. Both my dds loved their A level subjects to such an extent that they found it hard to choose a uni subject as they enjoyed them all. They have both ended up choosing options in their uni subjects that included their other A level subjects.

I hope she manages to find her passion and be able to study something she finds really interesting. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

How's everyone's dcs coping with the start of year 13?
Dd is planning to get her UCAS form in by Saturday - it feels as though that has come round very quickly!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

silverysea wrote: She is very good at History, MFL (might like to try a new European one), gov and Pol (these are coming easy to her) and is ******-mindedly continuing with maths despite appalling teaching throughout (not just in pandemic) and an unimpressive predicted grade. We are trying to get her to identify some enjoyment in her studies, instead of the endless slog and exam-factory feeling that has characterised her experience of education from year 9 onward.
Has she looked at the Flexible combined honours at Exeter?

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/c ... le/exeter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

loobylou wrote:How's everyone's dcs coping with the start of year 13?
Dd is planning to get her UCAS form in by Saturday - it feels as though that has come round very quickly!
DS's school not even done the UCAS overview yet for pupils although predicted grades have arrived - not sure what they are based on but will allow him to apply to the two courses he has in mind. Achieving the grades will be a challenge with teachers and pupils isolating and quarantining. It is going to be a different year that's for sure.
nyr

Post by nyr »

DS' school starts talking to them about applications to some US and UK universities fairly early and, since he's not one to dwell too much on any one task, he submitted his UCAS form a few weeks ago. Our worry is that he's left himself without a safety net. Oh well, when the need arises, there'll be Clearing and hopefully by then he'll decide on something more reasonable. :lol:
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

How is everyone's Y13 DC doing?

Mine has just returned to school after 2 weeks self isolating due to proximity to a positive case.

DC enjoying being back at school but still getting used to the fact that their lunch slot for the canteen is at 1020 in the morning - thus there have been a few very hungry days when lunch not prepared at home!!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is sort of getting on with his PS - he says the real problem is that talking about Art and why he wants to study the History of it feels pretentious and talking about himself feels pretentious, so... :roll:. Officially, he has until this Friday to overcome his hang-ups.

His school has completely revamped the timetable - two teaching blocks per day, on a ten week rotation. I feel a bit sorry for the teachers when they are taking the younger ones, but it works quite well for sixth form - at least those not dependent on contract buses - and although they (6th formers) are no longer allowed off-site at lunchtime when they are in for a full day, they don't have to be in at all for study periods. The arrangement means that any individual member of staff only takes a maximum of two different groups of up to 30 or so on any one day, even if it is for longer sessions, although they do have a break during each one.

I have to say, though, that whereas there were times in past years when I almost got to.grips with one or other DC's fortnightly timetable, with this one, no chance :lol:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

DD is doing ok. School seen to have worked really hard to make things feel as normal as possible - even though it's nothing like normal - and they all seem quite happy.
She got her UCAS form in a month ago and has 3 offers so far. She's waiting to see if she has an interview at the moment from her first choice and still waiting to hear from the 5th.
She's very busy doing coursework at the moment.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

She got her UCAS form in a month ago and has 3 offers so far. She's waiting to see if she has an interview at the moment from her first choice and still waiting to hear from the 5th.
Well done Loobylou's DD - great to get some offers in the bag. DC hoping to submit this week. Has not enjoyed writing the PS either ToadMum and virtual tours have not given much of a feel for unis. Really just going off where friends and family have studied.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now