mumsdarling2

St Olave's choir academic test

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Hi,

Could anyone share the format for Saint Olave's choir academic test? TIA
PettswoodFiona

Re: St Olave's choir academic test

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There is a lot of information on the website https://www.saintolaves.net/31/choristerships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In particular look at the link to the page about what is expected re time commitments. I know someone who was considering this but felt it would be too disruptive and logistically impossible in Y6. She also didn’t like the idea of Christmas Day being given up.

As the choir is so small you may struggle to get a reply from someone who has actually had a DS go through the process and be a chorister, but hopefully you do.

From the website about chorister application;
What is the format of the Academic Test?

Candidates sit papers in English and Mathematics, each of 30 minutes duration.

What is the required academic standard?

The Mathematics paper is based on KS2 Mathematics at around high National Curriculum Level 4 and is in a similar style and topic coverage to our Year 7 Stage 2 Entrance Test. The English paper assesses comprehension, grammar and creative writing to the same level.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

I only have daughters but know quite a lot of boys (in all different years) who got in through the chorister scheme. If you child enjoys singing, this is a fantastic way to gain a place. I helped my friend's son this year and he was successful. While other kids were going through the uncertainties regarding this year's 11+, he was having a relaxing time since April and had a great summer break with no anxiety.

The selection test is much easier than the regular test. The singing standard is not overly high. I would recommend to choose a piece from a CofE hymnal books or an easy anthem. Singing lessons wouldn't hurt.

Yes, it would require commitment of singing, but if your son enjoys singing, he would enjoy singing in the beautiful Savoy with professional singers. Going to the Savoy to see your child singing on Christmas will be one of your precious memories. Also, remember. It will all come to an end once their voice changes. So, enjoy while you can. :wink:
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

Hi- this is something we considered for DS (now year 10)

Before you go any further, definitely attend a couple of services at the church. It’s very full on and the congregation were very.... elite. It wasn’t for us. (DS ended up with a lower key choral scholarship into an independent)

The test itself is similar to the real thing I understand- they want the same academic level. I know boys who were rejected who went on to win academic scholarships elsewhere.

No bad reflection on the school- just that this cannot be seen as a simpler route in.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Just to be clear, the academic test is no where near comparable to the regular St Olaves' entrance test, which is logical, as these boys bring different strengh to the school. That is not to say, though, they are not going to be academic. It's just not as rigorous and thorough academic selection as the regular one.

Anyone whose son enjoys singing and interested in this, here is the detail. https://www.saintolaves.net/106/wakeham ... s-for-2021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moreover, the chorister academic test is done months before the regular one. So, even if unsuccessful, it would be good experience for the future test.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

when we were investigating, the school were quite clear that it was the same academic standard for choristers - just that they apply in year 5 so essentially avoid all the 11+ craziness. That is the real upside of being a chorister?

even the website link you refer to is clear that the exam covers the same topics and is the same style as the 11+. Where do you get the idea that they are not comparable?
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Covering the same topics and is the same style as the 11+ does not mean the same difficulty. Most 11+ exams around the country generally covers the same topics in similar styles. So, it is understandable.

My impression (and certainly that of those around me) comes from my observation during my involvement in choral music. I have seen boys successfully entering St Olaves' via choristers scheme, most recently this April and some boys have already graduated. All the boys that I have known to have applied for the choristers scheme were successful in gaining a place in St Olaves, bar one, whose mother told me that they were not really serious. These are all bright, polite, lovely boys, but not all of them were exceptionally academic.

Meanwhile, I have also known exceptionally academic boys who have sat the regular test and was unsuccessful over the years. Among them were an international chess champion and a coding whiz. Again, some are lower in years but some others successfully went on to fantastic university.

I am sure the readers will make their own decision based on all the comments in this thread and their other information sources. All I want to say is, go for the chorister scheme if you have a bright child who enjoys singing as there is absolutely nothing to lose.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It's naturally not going to be exactly the same test if they're sitting it a year early, but sure it will be academically rigorous. The reason St Olave's is so hard to get into in the main round is you're competing against so many other very bright boys because of reputation, presence in (outer) London, lack of geographical requirements. So it's not just about doing well but doing better than the others. If there aren't so many boys who can sing, or whose parents are aware of that route, it might be proportionately less cut throat on that criterion, but they'll want to be sure the boys they take can keep up.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now