Habs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Motherindia

Habs

Post by Motherindia »

Hi, hope everyone is doing well. My DD is sitting for Habs Girls exam in the next few weeks. I fully understand the school is purely selective based on 11+ test results and performance during the interview, and there isn't a sibling policy at the school. Nevertheless I am still wondering to what extent the school will consider the fact that my DD has a sibling in the boys school and a sibling in the girls school? Do they consider this at all in their judgement?
nyr

Re: Habs

Post by nyr »

A good many years ago, when family members were looking at independents for the first daughter they were told that if she joined the school then the next daughter's application would be considered more favourably. Of course any advantage may have been very minor.

My understanding is that the girls and boys schools have agreed on closer ties so, having siblings at both the schools may again work in your daughter's favour.

Probably best to check with the school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is a sibling policy at both schools, but it is unwritten. I know of parents that have been told in a private conversation that siblings will be interviewed if they are anywhere near the required standard. I know sets of siblings at both schools and don't know of any siblings who did not get a place. But I am sure there are some as it would not be fair to give a sibling a place who would not be able to keep up.

That there is any policy at all would be denied by both schools. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:There is a sibling policy at both schools, but it is unwritten. I know of parents that have been told in a private conversation that siblings will be interviewed if they are anywhere near the required standard. I know sets of siblings at both schools and don't know of any siblings who did not get a place. But I am sure there are some as it would not be fair to give a sibling a place who would not be able to keep up.

That there is any policy at all would be denied by both schools. DG

And that is the kind of thing, that has people saying how wonderful it is, that indies are so, well, independent. Not bound by tedious pettyfogging legal stuff such as the Admissions Code, like the state schools are :lol:. At least, the people who are advantaged by the unwritten rules. But then, of course, the School Admission Appeals Code is another bit of tedius, pettyfogging legal stuff that the indices don't have to abide by, either.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Motherindia

Post by Motherindia »

Hi,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

I just wanted to follow up on my original post just in case in the future someone else is looking for an answer to the same question.

Despite having 2 siblings already at the school, my DD found out today that she has not been selected for interview. So the school do not consider siblings already at the school. DD also believed the Math's paper was relatively easy for her and that she would have done well in the English paper too....obviously the bar was quite high this year. DD so disappointed and upset.. :(
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

Dear Motherindia,
I am sorry for your disappointment and i totally empathise. I have two DCs at Habs and one who didn't get in. There is no sibling policy at Habs, which i think is the correct policy. It has to be right for each DC. Of course there are many siblings at the schools but i also know many others in the same situation as us.
My non-Habs DC is thriving elsewhere - academically and socially and i am sure your daughter will as well. Wishing you and your daughter the very best with the 11+ journey and beyond...
Motherindia

Post by Motherindia »

Thank you Guesswho for your kind words.

I agree with you totally - the school needs to be right for her. For this reason, and in hindsight, I think it is right that schools like Habs select on merit. It would be worse if she got in because she has siblings there and hated it because of the pace of the school. I would rather my DD go to a school where she, as you say, can thrive, be happy and enjoy her time there. After all, they spend a substantial part of their day at school and they cant be dreading going every day.

My original question was to find out if siblings are automatically sent to interviewed stage and the merit is considered based on both the exam and the interview.

Best wishes to all - and keep safe!
miller

Post by miller »

My friends daughter found out today that she has not been invited for interview. A bright girls with excellent maths skills & very good English comprehension/writing skills. I think the bar has indeed been set very high this years. I know of other families in a similar position. Their letter made it very clear that the paper was looking for potential rather than previously acquired academic knowledge.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now