Results 2020. Do not post scores over 121 (see point 7)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Results 2020. Do not post scores over 121 (see point 7)

Post by scary mum »

Bucks test results are imminent, and we know how nerve-racking this can be.

Please read all the following before posting about the results.

We would like to take this opportunity to advise/remind everyone of a few points.

Issuing of results

1. If the test was taken by 20 November 2020, the result will be emailed after 5pm on 30 November 2020.
If you appear not to have your result, please remember to check your junk folder.

2. If the test was taken after 20 November 2020, the result will be emailed as soon as possible after 30 November 2020.

3. These dates are the same regardless of whether your child goes to a Buckinghamshire local authority school, partner or any other school, including out of county.

4. The email will give you your child's Secondary Transfer Test Score (STTS). It will also tell you what your child scored in the verbal, mathematical and non-verbal sections of the test. It will say whether the STTS qualifies your child for grammar school admission.

5. Further information is available on the Council's website. The relevant page is here.
Scroll down the page for useful information including:

• What the results mean

Understanding your options

If your child did not qualify

Scores above 121

6. Every year there are a number of people living a long way from Bucks who come on to the forum asking whether, with a score of 140, they stand a better chance of a place! :?
The flat qualifying mark will be 121, as it has been for time immemorial. All children achieving 121 or more are eligible for a place at a Bucks grammar school, depending upon the remaining admissions criteria for their preferred school such as distance. It makes absolutely no difference to the application process whether your child has scored 121 or 140 (or even higher!).

7. For that reason, please do not post scores above 121 on the forum! It is not necessary. On this forum it is viewed as boasting.
We are sadly familiar with some parents coming on to the forum to make their one and only post to announce that their precious child achieved fifty zillion marks. We don't want to know that, and any such posts will be edited or removed.

By all means share your good news and happiness with us, but all you need say is "My child has qualified".

Support for those who've scored below 121

8. Please show kindness and sensitivity towards those who have not received the result they hoped for.

9. If you are among those with a non-qualifying score, but nevertheless think there is academic evidence to show that a grammar school place would be appropriate, we will do whatever we can to support you.
First of all, it is in your interests to be as well-informed as possible about reviews and appeals, but there is no easy short cut. Please do lots of reading before asking questions on the forum. Start here. (There may of course be some changes as a result of Covid-19.)

10. Note that, for a successful review or appeal, extenuating circumstances (such as illness) are very unlikely on their own to be sufficient. Strong academic evidence of grammar school suitability will be needed.

11. Please be aware that, if you opt for a review, and are unsuccessful, this could seriously prejudice an appeal, because any subsequent appeal can only be considered if the Appeal Panel decide that your review was not "fair, consistent and objective". For further information follow the link in point 9 above. Last year most reviews were found to have been "fair, consistent and objective".

Try not to raise your child's expectations with regard to a review or appeal.

12. To be realistic, most reviews/appeals aren't going to succeed. You don't want your child pinning all their hopes on a successful outcome because the sense of rejection at being 'turned down' again can be so very upsetting. The less you say about reviews/appeals at home, probably the better. Play down the possibility of a favourable decision. 'Big up' the likely alternative school.
Appeals, in particular, are a long way off (in the summer term), and some parents - wisely - don't even let on that they are appealing!

Questions

13. General questions and news are welcome on this thread, but if you have specific questions about your own case for review/appeal you must please start your own thread on the Appeals forum. We can do a much better job of helping you if all the information about your case is in one place in your own thread on the Appeals forum.
The Appeals forum can be found here.
Please name your thread:
        • "[user name]'s case (Bucks)"
Many children who've not qualified at 11+ go on to be successful

14. Please do not say "My child has failed." He/she may not have got a qualifying score on one particular day in the autumn term of Y6, but many in this situation go on to be outstandingly successful.
    • "It's ok to not to succeed. Not succeeding does not shape your personality; it's how you react ...... Do you dust yourself off and mope or do you dust yourself off and come back stronger the next time? Eventually you will win. It may not happen the next time, it may take a little time but you will win in the end."
    • “Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.”
For words of encouragement from those who have been through the experience of non-qualification in the 11+ (as well as an unsuccessful review/appeal) see here.

• Remember that you are very welcome to post your news on this thread as it arrives, provided that scores above 121 are not stated.

• For specific help with your review/appeal, use the Appeals forum.

• Don't hesitate to state a score below 121 on the Appeals forum - it could well be a significant part of the case.

• Our very best wishes to everyone anxiously waiting.
scary mum
Stressmum2020

Re: Do not post scores over 121. See point 7.

Post by Stressmum2020 »

thanks for this information - good luck to everyone as I feel like I am going mad with waiting till 5pm

Does anybody know whether the children will get letters from school or is it just the email I have to wait for?

Thanks
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

I feel the same. Why on earth have they decided to email after 5pm?!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Stressmum2020 wrote:thanks for this information - good luck to everyone as I feel like I am going mad with waiting till 5pm

Does anybody know whether the children will get letters from school or is it just the email I have to wait for?

Thanks
No it will just be email this year - see the Bucks Council webite as linked above.
I think they will go out at 5pm so that people find out after school pickup. This prevents upsetting & unnecessary celebration in the school playgournd & gives people the chance to digest the results in private (this is my guess, it may simply be that it takes that long to get everything sorted).
Also, previously, out of county candidates received the results in the morning post, and in county/partnrship schools gave them out at the end of school, resulting in people outside Buckinghamshire receiving ther results first. This way everyone gets them at the same time.
scary mum
a_mummy

Post by a_mummy »

Makes sense.
Stressmum2020

Post by Stressmum2020 »

thanks for the updates - not long now

Good Luck all - my boy missed out on Slough one by 2 marks so just trying to work out what next steps are going to be
new to all this

Post by new to all this »

Good luck to all the children. They've worked so hard and had such a tough year, they could all use some good news. Whatever happens, they're to be commended for their efforts.
polapts

Post by polapts »

Finally.. done with it... qualified.
sss123sss

Post by sss123sss »

My DD has qualified. We're in OOC area.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

out of interest what is it out of? what is the maximum score? Please PM me if preferred.