Bucks 120 score review or appeal (health condition at exam)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

unahb1

Bucks 120 score review or appeal (health condition at exam)

Post by unahb1 »

hi, Thanks for such excellent platform and lovely contributors. I need some suggestion on what suits for my daughter who scored 120 (.25) in Bucks and missed by 1 mark. She had severe tummy ache during 2nd paper and completely upset, she did well in 1st paper. Even though she wasnt feeling well managed to completed paper but failed to report to the invigilator. We were worried when picking her up and had to visit A&E , followed by blood tests and medications. We reported to admissions team at Bucks via email on same day and they acknolwedged. We have documents in hand.

Is review appropriate in such condition ? Spoke with her head teacher and they said will fill the academic details etc as requested, but she is not in top 10 in her recent tests. Am worried if by having a negative review, will that have implications during appeal (March time) ?

I have gone through various posts and documents but unable to come to conclusion. Any help is highly appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Bucks 120 score review or appeal (health condition at ex

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Am worried if by having a negative review, will that have implications during appeal (March time) ?
Yes, it certainly could. If you've had an unsuccessful review, the appeal panel in May/June can only consider your case if it first decides that your review was not fair, consistent and objective.
In 2019, Appeal Panels decided that only 18% of Selection Reviews had not been carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way, so most appeals failed at the first hurdle.

Statistically your review is much more likely to succeed if the score is 120, probably around 80%+
- but I'm afraid there's no guarantee. Not every review with a score of 120 will succeed. It will depend on the academic evidence.

I think you should start preparing for a review, but don't commit yourself until you have the headteacher's form and have assessed the strength of the academic evidence. We'd be happy to help you.
Etienne
unahb1

Post by unahb1 »

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply Etienne. Looks like review process changed now, we just need to submit head teacher's email id in review form. Then Bucks will be sending a email / link for school to fill the details as per process.
I spoke with school, due to corona they arent giving any reference letters to any kids for 11 plus reviews this time.
That's why am confused. Also my kids doesnt attend Bucks or its partner school, we live in Berkshire within proximity Bucks grammar school(s)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

unahb1 wrote:Looks like review process changed now, we just need to submit head teacher's email id in review form.
I think this is called the "request form". It's the form to request a selection review.
I spoke with school, due to corona they arent giving any reference letters to any kids for 11 plus reviews this time.
If they're not willing to fill in a review form, you could still gather evidence yourself.
See B20 "The head teacher can’t (or won’t) help with a letter of support":
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was written for an appeal (so exercise books won't help), but some of the other points could apply to a review.
However, it won't be easy to win a review without the headteacher's review form.
The panel will want to see the same sort of information as requested on the normal form, e.g. progress every year from Y2 onwards.
Etienne
unahb1

Post by unahb1 »

Thanks a lot Etienne for the indepth info.