Selection Review (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JindyJ

Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by JindyJ »

Hi All

My son received 115 on his Bucks 11 plus and I have received the Headteachers Form which has unfortunately has been given 3:3 and his predicted grades are 100 to 110 for Reading, 110 to 120 for Maths and Target Met for Writing.

Please can you advise me if this will even help with the Selection review and what I should do?

We have some extenuating circumstances, my sons grandma left in August and this really affected him and also the week of the exam his Nan fell down and he was really worried about her.

Should I attach the headteachers form or just do extenuating circumstances?

I am very confused as to what to do and how to approach?
Etienne

Re: Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
My son received 115 on his Bucks 11 plus and I have received the Headteachers Form which has unfortunately has been given 3:3 and his predicted grades are 100 to 110 for Reading, 110 to 120 for Maths and Target Met for Writing.
The maths looks fine, but I'm afraid he won't have a successful review (or appeal) without 111-120 for Reading, and GDS for Writing.

Extenuating circumstances on their own won't be enough. There has to be a really strong academic case.

The best I can suggest is that you skip the review, but keep open the possibility of an appeal in March.
However, an appeal won't work unless he can make an enormous improvement in both Reading and Writing by April.

I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I wouldn't want to be less than honest about your chances.
Etienne
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Hi Etienne

Thank you for your response.

Is the catchment considered in the Selection Review or only at appeal level?

Also if I do the Review Selection and he is unsuccessful would that jeopardise his chance for appeal?

Thanks
Kaljinder
Last edited by JindyJ on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

JindyJ wrote:Hi Etienne

Thank you for your response.

Is the catchment considered in the Selection Review or only at appeal level?

Thanks
Kaljinder
Only at appeal - and only if the appeal panel has first decided that the child should be qualified.
Etienne
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

If I go down the Selective Review and am unsuccessful will this jeopardise his appeal chance?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

JindyJ wrote:If I go down the Selective Review and am unsuccessful will this jeopardise his appeal chance?
Yes, it could!
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=61430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
point 11 - in red!
Etienne
JindyJ

Re: Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by JindyJ »

Thanks again for your help. I will have to speak to my child and get him to really start focussing at school and see if we can appeal in March.

Is anyone else going through the same?

Thanks
Kaljinder
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Hi Eitenne

The school I really want my son to go to is Burnham Grammar, if I go to appeal after offer day will they not ask me why I did not do the Selection Review? Also will I have to do another Head Teachers Form or would SATs predicted results at that time and reports be sufficient.

How many spaces do Burnham normally keep for Appeals? I only live under 2 miles from the school and really want a place for my son as I feel he is not being challenged or pushed in his current primary school.

Also one more thing the Headteachers Form was sent to us via a link from Bucks Council, does that mean the Bucks Council has already seen the form and the feedback and will this stay in there records?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

JindyJ wrote:The school I really want my son to go to is Burnham Grammar, if I go to appeal after offer day will they not ask me why I did not do the Selection Review?
The school won't. The appeal panel might - in which case the answer is in C4 here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=60296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also will I have to do another Head Teachers Form
No, there is no other headteacher form.
or would SATs predicted results at that time and reports be sufficient.
As much academic evidence as possible.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How many spaces do Burnham normally keep for Appeals?
None. A successful appeal means the child is admitted as an extra pupil.
I only live under 2 miles from the school and really want a place for my son as I feel he is not being challenged or pushed in his current primary school.
Assuming the panel thinks your child should be deemed qualified, you will also need good reasons for wanting a place - sufficient to outweigh the prejudice to the school if they are to be required to take an extra pupil.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a lot to take in.
You really need to study all the Q&As. You will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet! :)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
JindyJ

Post by JindyJ »

Hi Eitenne

Thank you so much for your help and support with this, it is very overwhelming. I am trying my best to get him a place in BGS with ruining the chances, hence do not want to rush into anything.